Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
Ebook features available

I'm looking for a _concise_ source of how to do certain things in ebook making. I say "concise" because at this point I simply read too slow and forget too fast to dig anything out of long (or medium) articles with lots of techno talk and little organization. This community seems to have people who can offer suggestions where the dummy articles are.

Specifically, (1.) how do people put navigation points before the actual book begins? Those I've seen usually require paging, rather than using a navigating button. So chapter marks don't seem top be the answer; they'd always start you in the copyrights, etc.

(2.) How can one put in a mark at the _end_ that will send you to the beginning?

Ross
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossK View Post
I'm looking for a _concise_ source of how to do certain things in ebook making. I say "concise" because at this point I simply read too slow and forget too fast to dig anything out of long (or medium) articles with lots of techno talk and little organization. This community seems to have people who can offer suggestions where the dummy articles are.

Specifically, (1.) how do people put navigation points before the actual book begins? Those I've seen usually require paging, rather than using a navigating button. So chapter marks don't seem top be the answer; they'd always start you in the copyrights, etc.

(2.) How can one put in a mark at the _end_ that will send you to the beginning?

Ross
Every format has a different navigation scheme.
In EPUB the TOC is separate from the text (but part of the book). The TOC is the navigation, which is handled by the device.

Sigil uses the H# tags to propose a TOC (you can un-mark those to hide), which makes things really easy.

OTOH HTML usually includes the navigation. The navigation can be Arrows Previous/home(top) or TOC page/Next The first page has no Previous, the last has no Next. Each link has to be (hand) coded with the URL of the destinations.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
RossK
RossK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Every format has a different navigation scheme.
In EPUB the TOC is separate from the text (but part of the book). The TOC is the navigation, which is handled by the device.

Sigil uses the H# tags to propose a TOC (you can un-mark those to hide), which makes things really easy.

OTOH HTML usually includes the navigation. The navigation can be Arrows Previous/home(top) or TOC page/Next The first page has no Previous, the last has no Next. Each link has to be (hand) coded with the URL of the destinations.
I think you just said that mobi has no navigation other than TOC.
RossK is offline   Reply With Quote