Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
fluffy happy
fluffy happy began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket
I need to replace my sony prs 300

I currently have a Sony prs 300 and its looking well tatty and want to get a new one (I need a treat darn it). Im having a hard time finding an ereaeder that i like because I want to know what the menus choices are.
I like the size of the 300 but the main thing I like about it is you can list the books by date. The thing is I tend to put 20 or more books on at a time using calibre and I put them on in the order I want to read them, then view them in the books by date menu and there they are in order.
I have noticed not all ereaders allow for this. You can view by author, title and recent but thats no good for me.

I dont need.......... a built in light, external memory, audio, wifi or even touch screen. Thats not saying I would say no if a reader had any of those.
I was holding out for the new Sony but I was expecting it to be an improvement on the PRS T2 (somewhere to keep the stylus) but alas no!

Can some of you lovely people help me out?
fluffy happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
How about a Kobo Mini? http://www.kobo.com/kobomini
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
fluffy happy

Owly,
Thanks for the suggestion but according to the gumpf you can "Sort your eBooks alphabetically, by title, or by author name just as you would a physical bookshelf." and I really do want to be able to put them in an order I like when loading them on the reader.

I know my prs300 does this but im not sure about the other sony readers. Does anyone know if the Sony T1 or T2 cant list by date?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy happy View Post
Owly,
Thanks for the suggestion but according to the gumpf you can "Sort your eBooks alphabetically, by title, or by author name just as you would a physical bookshelf." and I really do want to be able to put them in an order I like when loading them on the reader.

I know my prs300 does this but im not sure about the other sony readers. Does anyone know if the Sony T1 or T2 cant list by date?
The Mini (and all the other Kobo readers) also sorts by "recent reads" and you can create shelves quite easily using Calibre. Within the "shelf" you have the "Date Added" choice...so all you have to do is create 1 shelf, put your books in it and then you can see them in the order you like...
See the thread here:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 about using Calibre to create shelves automatically for you.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
fluffy happy

Thank you. I will give it a go.
Ive just bid on ebay for a sony 505. Damn my impulsive nature, only 15 mins to go and now Ive changed my mind DOH!

I won the 505. £26 with £6 p&p Not bad price and it looks really good.

Last edited by fluffy happy; 06-07-2013 at 10:15 AM. Reason: I won the 505
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy happy View Post
Thank you. I will give it a go.
Ive just bid on ebay for a sony 505. Damn my impulsive nature, only 15 mins to go and now Ive changed my mind DOH!

I won the 505. £26 with £6 p&p Not bad price and it looks really good.
I don't mean to be negative, but that may not have been a good decision. Unfortunately, any PRS-505 is going to be a minimum of 4-5 years old, and have a battery that's on the verge of dying. I strongly suspect you'll find that you'll get an extremely short battery life from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
fluffy happy

Harry, I understand what your saying but I am glad I have it coming now and can use it for a bit as my prs 300 has got issues as from 10 minutes ago. Calibre cannot connect to it and i am not sure how long I would stay sane knowing I have no reader. I may have deleted something I shouldnt have oops.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hey Fluff!

I have a T1 and you can sort by the following:
- date
- title
- author
- file name
- latest read

I would assume the T2 can do the same. And when you sort by date it shows the date 06/03/2013.

I have to agree with Harry. I wouldn't have gone backwards and bought an older reader. If you like the Sony form you'll like the T1 or T2.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I agree with HarryT & Shopaholic, better to buy something newer. Personally, I wouldn't have went any older than the Sony 350/650 due to the possible deterioration in battery life. Still, if you've bought it now, hopefully you will get some use out of it for a while even if the battery does need charged regularly.

In future, if you are in the UK and looking for a Sony, as well as ebay, it's worth keeping an eye on the Sony Outlet store for refurbished bargains. They had a white T2 for £60 earlier today, though all gone now. Or try Morgan Computers (and search for Sony PRS) as they sometimes have Grade A/B refurbs, newest is currently a PRS 300 for £30 (with 3 month warranty).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You're in the UK? you can get a Kobo Mini for 30 pounds from smiths or a Nook STR for 30 pounds (they have them on the Argos website).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You're in the UK? you can get a Kobo Mini for 30 pounds from smiths or a Nook STR for 30 pounds (they have them on the Argos website).
Yes, either of those would be a much better buy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
Jen_Smith
Nameless Being

There are also Kobo Minis on Amazon for just over £30 plus P&P at the moment (UK). Currently looking forward to mine arriving: saw them in WHSmiths (not at the knockdown price in the physical store where I was) and thought they were so dinky I had to have one as a combats-pocket reader.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Nook ST at £30 must be about sold out by now!? Just see the Kobo Mini is on sale at the same price too that one I would have bought if I didn't already have my PRS350.

As long as you don't want a front-lit reader, those two options are great bargains.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
fluffy happy

Thanks guys for all your comments.
I have to say I do seem to prefer the sonys and to be totally honest with all of you .....I have no idea why I bought the 505 but hey Im a woman and I can change my mind if I want damn it!
I do like the look of the T2 and nearly bought it when it had 35% off on the sony site but i was hoping for a new one to come out, the thing putting my off the T2 is the lack of somewhere to store the stylus, daft I know but Why have and need a stylus if there is nowhere to store it.
I will see how I go with this one and if a new sony one comes out by Christmas my husband's job will be easy..... then again?????