Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Is the reading experience MUCH nicer on these Fire devices ?

Is the reading experience MUCH nicer on these Fire devices than on E-INK ?

I'm viewing the features of that new Fire HD 7" and it looks like E-INK is dead.
What do you think ? Much better ?
Only 200 bucks too.
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post

I'm viewing the features of that new Fire HD 7" and it looks like E-INK is dead.
No.
Of course, that's me (and many others). I hate reading on a backlit screen. I have a Fire for browsing, and videos and games, and an e-ink Kindle for reading.
Some people like reading on glowing LCDs. You'll have to decide for yourself.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
Doc109
Enthusiast
Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doc109 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire 2 (non-HD), Kindle Paperwhite
I personally quite like LCD reading. The original Fire has been better than expected for reading, at least to my eyes. I very much like reading on the K3 as well but it does not do well in darker situations or in indirect light. I suppose the Paperwhite will fix that.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed whether the higher resolution on the HD substantially improves the reading experience over the original Fire. I'm gathering from reviews that the anti-glare screen does not make a substantial difference but maybe the higher resolution is a big deal? I'm guessing not for most people but am curious about people's experiences.
Doc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
I personally quite like LCD reading. The original Fire has been better than expected for reading, at least to my eyes. I very much like reading on the K3 as well but it does not do well in darker situations or in indirect light. I suppose the Paperwhite will fix that.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed whether the higher resolution on the HD substantially improves the reading experience over the original Fire. I'm gathering from reviews that the anti-glare screen does not make a substantial difference but maybe the higher resolution is a big deal? I'm guessing not for most people but am curious about people's experiences.
I find the HD to be easier to read than the original Fire. The higher res is certainly better for reading comics, magazines, and color media.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's a preference really. I enjoy both my Kindle Fire and Kindles. I can't say which I prefer to read on better.

I can say with the lights out it's the Kindle Fire. Now that may change once the PW comes out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I didn't think I could read comfortably with a backlit screen, but I've had my Kindle Fire HD for 2 days and have been pleasantly surprised. I spent a few hours reading on it last night with sepia setting and brightness dimmed down some.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't seen the new Fire, but reading is okay on my old one. However, it's heavier, swiping and tapping on the page is a poor substitute for page turn buttons, and overall, for straight up reading, I prefer my Kindle.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I didn't think I could read comfortably with a backlit screen, but I've had my Kindle Fire HD for 2 days and have been pleasantly surprised. I spent a few hours reading on it last night with sepia setting and brightness dimmed down some.
I use the Screen Dim app by Pruss. I don't think it's available for the KFHD yet but it works great on my nonHD Kindle Fire v1.

I think he is trying to get it approved for the new KFs.

I sideload mine from Google Play though.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Absolutely not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post

Only 200 bucks too.
E-ink dead!?! Absolutely not! The fire is a multi-use device and not a dedicated reader. It is a whole lot heavier and has a much shorter battery life when used for the same amount of reading as an E-ink device. Although it can, of course function as a reader.

And what with the new internally illuminated E-ink reader models becoming available, E-ink readers appear have overcome the final hurdle of any competition with backlit LCD devices being used as readers.

In all fairness, some folks claim that they are more comfortable reading a LCD device that an E-ink device. I always wonder why, as I cannot fathom that preference.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks for the comments.
I myself use a SONY PRS-650 and the viewing itself is amazing. Only thing about it is that people constantly ask me what it is in the middle of my reading so it can get annoying

But it's slow to respond and there's little control over the document.

I get my ultimate solution would be a better E-INK then.
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Have found that reading at night using Pruss's dim app on my KFHD, wonderful! I have tried every option and have found that white on black in easy mode at 35% brightness works great.

No glare and the text is clear and sharp, very easy on these old eyes. None of what I would call "Halo" around the text letters that is normal with a lcd screen. And the plus side is the screen is not eating battery power with most of the screen turned off and not glaring at me as I read.

The KFHD is perfect for a bedtime reader for me in this mode in a dark room.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-24-2012 at 04:21 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I love my Fire HD, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite on order too. E- ink is still hard to beat for all around reading and the battery life on these devices kicks butt.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I prefer eink for novels but for my A4 sized tech pdfs I use a 10.1" Android tablet.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
After buying the original Fire, I went out and also bought an e-ink Kindle for reading on the beach. The Fire, with a screen similar to that of a smartphone, is difficult to read in direct sunlight. I don't know about the HD models.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Have found that reading at night using Pruss's dim app on my KFHD, wonderful! I have tried every option and have found that white on black in easy mode at 35% brightness works great.

No glare and the text is clear and sharp, very easy on these old eyes. None of what I would call "Halo" around the text letters that is normal with a lcd screen. And the plus side is the screen is not eating battery power with most of the screen turned off and not glaring at me as I read.

The KFHD is perfect for a bedtime reader for me in this mode in a dark room.
I use Sepia with 0.8% brightness sometimes 1.2% depending how tired my eyes are. I can't use white text and black background. I've tried but the letters go dancing for me and I see blinds in my vision. I can't use white with black text either so Sepia is my only choice.