Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
Hmm...

I'm glad I found this thread.

I have read VERY positive reviews of the Kobo Aura, and was all set to lash out and invest in one.

However, I already have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, and one feature I use regularly is syncing between the PW2 and the Kindle app on my iPhone, for use when I am out and about. This works for me whether the books are purchased from Amazon or not. I had assumed I'd be able to do likewise with the Aura.

Apparently not.

Kobo ads make no mention of this limitation, that I could find. It is, of course, Kobo's right to limit the sync function to books purchased from them. I understand that. However, I'm afraid that it is a deal-breaker for me, and it disappoints me.

Thanks everyone for the information. You've saved me $AU180, so my wife thanks you too.
This was also my problem when I was choosing between the Glo and a PW2. Because I used to read on multiple devices (mostly android devices) and I just use whispersync on books that I sent to the cloud. But storage eventually won out. The Kindle not having expandable storage was my dealbreaker.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
This was also my problem when I was choosing between the Glo and a PW2. Because I used to read on multiple devices (mostly android devices) and I just use whispersync on books that I sent to the cloud. But storage eventually won out. The Kindle not having expandable storage was my dealbreaker.
Fair enough...

I only keep about 20 books at a time on my PW2. The rest are stored and administered in Calibre, where I have devised a satisfactory system for refreshing the books on the Kindle and the iPhone from time to time.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Quote:
You've saved me $AU180, so my wife thanks you too.

those types of statements always bother me. did you lop off your testicles when you got married and asked your wife to hang onto them for the rest of your life? are you unemployed and thus have no money of your own to spend from time to time?

back on topic - i was kinda hoping there would be a way to upload an epub onto Kobo servers in the same way that Google Play Books now allows uploading epubs so that said epubs would synch across devices. hence why my search brought me to this thread (and a few others)
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post

those types of statements always bother me. did you lop off your testicles when you got married and asked your wife to hang onto them for the rest of your life? are you unemployed and thus have no money of your own to spend from time to time?
Not everyone has money coming out their ears.

And his wife may be happy because he avoided spending $180 and was disappointed with the results.

Marriage is a cooperative venture, with many different strategies for managing it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Are you just naturally rude, or do you have to work at it?

My remark was meant to be mildly humorous. Obviously too subtle.

Nonetheless, I agree with the perceptive murg:

"Marriage is a cooperative venture, with many different strategies for managing it."
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Nonetheless, I agree with the perceptive murg:

"Marriage is a cooperative venture, with many different strategies for managing it."
The one I saw the other day was:

"A marriage is a partnership between two people. One of them is right and the other is the husband."

My wife didn't seem to have any problem with it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #22
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you just naturally rude, or do you have to work at it?

My remark was meant to be mildly humorous. Obviously too subtle.
i'm blunt sometimes blunt-positive, other times blunt-neutral, or blunt-negative. most people aren't able to handle the blunt-negative, though. most people expect to be coddled or receive fake-praise.

marriage ought to be about acceptance, respect, and partnerships. if "wife" doesn't need to justify a $60 haircut every 4 months or a $200 pair of shoes every year, then "husband" doesn't need to justify a $160 electronic device once a year. unless, of course, "husband" doesn't work and doesn't contribute to the household income.

oh, and there's generally truth behind the humour. just sayin'...
Old 01-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
if "wife" doesn't need to justify a $60 haircut every 4 months or a $200 pair of shoes every year, then "husband" doesn't need to justify a $160 electronic device once a year.
Flip those and you're getting closer to my relationship.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #24
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
marriage ought to be about acceptance, respect, and partnerships. if "wife" doesn't need to justify a $60 haircut every 4 months or a $200 pair of shoes every year, then "husband" doesn't need to justify a $160 electronic device once a year. unless, of course, "husband" doesn't work and doesn't contribute to the household income.
To paraphrase: 'unless, of course, "wife" doesn't work and doesn't contribute to the household income'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you aren't married.

Contributing to the household income is but one of the ways that you contribute to a marriage.

Quote:
oh, and there's generally truth behind the humour. just sayin'...
Oh, so all those jokes about Canadians are true?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
To paraphrase: 'unless, of course, "wife" doesn't work and doesn't contribute to the household income'

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you aren't married.

Contributing to the household income is but one of the ways that you contribute to a marriage.
When a person holds an expectation that their status as the only person in a marriage who works for a wage outside of the home should automatically give them 100% of the financial power in a relationship - that's a red flag.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #26
timdams
timdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: HP Touchpad
Will this thread ever revert back to the problem at hand..Because I really need this feature (syncing sideloaded content)
timdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is no solution unfortunately. There is no standard means for ereading s/w to track reading position.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #28
burnafterreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

Oh, so all those jokes about Canadians are true?
you mean aboot Canadians, eh?

// sent from my igloo using a polar bear
Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Does anyone know where the Kobo app stores the books on an Android device? I don't see anything when connected to Windows. I assume it is in some memory that doesn't get presented to Windows, but, I haven't spent much time looking at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #30
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does anyone know where the Kobo app stores the books on an Android device? I don't see anything when connected to Windows. I assume it is in some memory that doesn't get presented to Windows, but, I haven't spent much time looking at it.
Code:
/sdcard/Kobo/epubs
The [k]epubs are unpacked and stored there.
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote