Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Auto sync minor book changes Calibre to Glo

If I make a minor change to a book in Calibre like updating a book's cover, how do I get Calibre to automatically synchronize the book as well as the metadata without manually copying it to my glo ?.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Reading List plugin can automatically update all books regardless of whether they need it.

chaley added an option to Calibre Companion which does exactly this, but it probably required all kinds of magic... it only works for Android, obviously.

It will have to be manual.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

The Sync Books feature in Calibre Companion is great, and it works well, that's what got me thinking about Calibre.

I'm wondering if Calibre has a way to mark and list all books whose contents differs when the reader is plugged in ?.

I currently use Beyond Compare to list "newer" or "content differs" of the same book. (I often edit books in sigil and calibre, it's OCD you see).

Last edited by leftright; 01-07-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nope, but you can check the Last Modified column to see if metadata was updated in calibre's database.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
The Sync Books feature in Calibre Companion is great, and it works well, that's what got me thinking about Calibre.

I'm wondering if Calibre has a way to mark and list all books whose contents differs when the reader is plugged in ?.

I currently use Beyond Compare to list "newer" or "content differs" of the same book. (I often edit books in sigil and calibre, it's OCD you see).
The problem is you would need to compare the contents of the books. As calibre updates the metadata in the books when they are sent, the timestamps and file size probably won't match what is in the library. Add that the KoboTouch driver can modify the stylesheets, the only way to see is if there is a real difference is to check the contents.

I think the reading list is the best option. When you make a small change (style or text, but not file structure or ToC), add the book to a reading list that can be automatically sent on the next connect. I do this all the time while fixing spelling errors ("discrete" vs "discreet" is my current "favourite") and style when reading books.

The last modified date in the calibre library could also work, but I think that will only be updated for metadata changes. I don't think it is changed if you edit the book.

For the differences, you probably should try the calibre difference viewer. I don't know if there is an easy way to start this to compare the versions in the library and on the device, but from memory, it can be started from the command line with the two files as input.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #6
leftright
Addict

I'll use calibre's recently viewed list to keep a log of book changes.

Thanks for your replies.