Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
seller shipped an old device I guess. Need help.

Hello,
I purchased PRS T2 from ebay. And I checked 3-4 times and the tag was new and then only I placed an order. I received it today and when I opened the package the box(from sony) had no seal or tap. I was able to open it without tearing anything. Then I switched it on and realized that 3 books were pre loaded and one book was in the "continue reading" and the date mentioned for last reading was 1 jan 2012 at 12:00 am.

All those who bought it I want to know that is it normal or the seller actually shipped a used device? I paid full price so no way I can accept an old reader.
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Don't know about T2, but readers are usually shipped with a few (or more) preloaded books. January 2012 is a nonsense for T2 anyway, that's more than half a year before it was released, and with such a round date/time it looks more like a pre-filled content to me.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Don't know about T2, but readers are usually shipped with a few (or more) preloaded books. January 2012 is a nonsense for T2 anyway, that's more than half a year before it was released, and with such a round date/time it looks more like a pre-filled content to me.

You mean to say pre filled by sony itself? Sorry if my questions are too dumb but i'm really going mad
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I think that my T2 came with a few books pre-loaded, mostly excerpts. I deleted them all.

If the T2 was really brand new, I think that you should have been presented with the 'set up' dialogue when you turned it on for the first time. Did that happen?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think that my T2 came with a few books pre-loaded, mostly excerpts. I deleted them all.

If the T2 was really brand new, I think that you should have been presented with the 'set up' dialogue when you turned it on for the first time. Did that happen?

When I switched it on I was asked to do language selection, time, and region selection. Is it new then?
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandini View Post
When I switched it on I was asked to do language selection, time, and region selection. Is it new then?
Unless anybody knows better, I think it'll only do that when turned on for the first time. It sounds like it probably is new, yes.

What are the three pre-loaded books, by the way?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Unless anybody knows better, I think it'll only do that when turned on for the first time. It sounds like it probably is new, yes.

What are the three pre-loaded books, by the way?
The three preloaded books are
1. the art of racing in the rain(Excerpt)(it is in continue reading)
2. Divergent (it is also an excerpt it seems)
3. the inn at rose Harbor
and then there is user manual.
I'm not opening any books to check if they are excerpts because it will remover the date of reading for the art of racing book.
If all three are excerpts then they might be preloaded by sony to check if it's working? Another thing that bothers me is there was no tape on the box.

Thanks for replying and I'm much much relieved now. I dropped a message in seller's inbox for a clarification on this. But I'm already sure that I got a new one.
I also got harrypotter coupons even though mine is a red T2 and not black.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Sounds like you got a new open box device. I got a T1 that way (it was sold that way) and when I started it up, I got the select language etc screen. After I got past all that, mine had some books on it too, and they were not at the beginning. Can't recall what they were, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Sounds like you got a new open box device. I got a T1 that way (it was sold that way) and when I started it up, I got the select language etc screen. After I got past all that, mine had some books on it too, and they were not at the beginning. Can't recall what they were, though.
Mine is much more complicated you see. I just found out that it has 2 pictures added yesterday i.e. 10/16/2012 and 3 pictures drawn via handwriting on 1 jan 2012(this must be by sony as the hand drawn pictures are quite impressive). But what about the 2 pictures added yesterday when I received the device today??
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Mine is much more complicated you see. I just found out that it has 2 pictures added yesterday i.e. 10/16/2012 and 3 pictures drawn via handwriting on 1 jan 2012(this must be by sony as the hand drawn pictures are quite impressive). But what about the 2 pictures added yesterday when I received the device today??
Mine arrived brand new with two pictures. Are they Books.jpg and Library.jpg? Mine also has three handwriting items, a map, a cup of coffee and a piece of addition. I think the date anomaly is probably to do with having just set the date on your device.

Edited to add: I just checked the date on the pictures on my device. It's 10th September, which is, interestingly, the day before my T2 was delivered to me!

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-17-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
Mine arrived brand new with two pictures. Are they Books.jpg and Library.jpg? Mine also has three handwriting items, a map, a cup of coffee and a piece of addition. I think the date anomaly is probably to do with having just set the date on your device.

yes everything is exactly the same. Sorry for troubling you so much. Thanks thanks a lot

It's not allowing me to give karma to you. :P asking me to spread reputation before giving some to you. LOL. Anyway more n more thanks to you.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
yes everything is exactly the same. Sorry for troubling you so much. Thanks thanks a lot

It's not allowing me to give karma to you. :P asking me to spread reputation before giving some to you. LOL. Anyway more n more thanks to you.
No problem. These things aren't cheap and it's not nice to have any doubts about them. I'd have done exactly the same thing in your position.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
nandini
Enthusiast

Quote:
No problem. These things aren't cheap and it's not nice to have any doubts about them. I'd have done exactly the same thing in your position.

I agree It was my first purchase from ebay hence the chaos was more
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
And just an FYI - all the Sony T2s came with the Harry Potter & the Philosophers Stone ebook coupon. They advertised black only but it came with all three.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
viiv
viiv began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
And just an FYI - all the Sony T2s came with the Harry Potter & the Philosophers Stone ebook coupon. They advertised black only but it came with all three.
Whoa, lets not get a bunch of Americans angry now wondering who stole their coupon out of their box.

Only the Canadian model comes with the coupon with all three colours. The American T2 does indeed come with the coupon only with the black version.
viiv is offline   Reply With Quote