Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
Version Updating - what exactly does it entail?

My caliber is asking me to update it to 0.7.16, but it's warning me that I will have to uninstall to get this update. I've had bad experience with risky updates in the past, will reinstalling cause me to lose all of my library data and metadata?
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Make a backup of your Calibre Library first (or two). And update with peace of mind, knowing that your books and metadata is safe.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Philippe Lemay
Apple Hater
Philippe Lemay began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPod Touch
Ok, so the library file is inter-compatible with different versions? When I download the new version I can just point him towards the library and he'll go "AH! Thank you, now I will load all of your prefferences and customizations!"

Right?
Philippe Lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Lemay View Post
Ok, so the library file is inter-compatible with different versions? When I download the new version I can just point him towards the library and he'll go "AH! Thank you, now I will load all of your prefferences and customizations!"

Right?
I have upgraded dozens of times. I have never uninstalled first. I just run the MSI file then start calibre. No need to point to anything, your settings are still there. The worse that has happened is the occasional preference is reverted back to its default.

Backing up your database on a regular basis is always a good idea and I strongly recommend you do that regardless of whether you're updating or not.

Update: I think if you are upgrading from a version older then 0.6.17 you must uninstall first, but otherwise you're fine.

Update 2: If you are happy and don't want to upgrade you can turn off the notification in Preferences - General at the top.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-02-2010 at 01:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Lemay View Post
Calibre is always forward compatible, in that a new version will take whatever steps necessary to upgrade an older version. However, calibre is not always backward compatible, meaning that once a new version is installed, it is not always possible to go back to an older version.

Up to now, the last 0.6 release and all the 0.7 releases have been mostly backward compatible. One release moved some saved searches and user-defined categories (not custom columns!) and some display preferences to the database from the config directory, and moving back across that release would cause those items to be reset to defaults.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert