Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Question to both kindle DX and 6" owners

Hi,

A question to the lucky owners of both kindle DX / Graphite and 6" version : which one do you find yourself using the most ? I know both have their dis-/advantages, the bigger screen allows more content to be displayed but is heavier, etc. But my guess is some users will find find themselves using almost exclusively either the 6" or the 9.7" version.

I would have made this thread a poll, but i don't think there's a lot of people who owns both devices. And it also might be a bit biased since the DX Graphite owners might prefer to read on this device just because of the newer and better screen. But well, I'm currently hesitating between the DX Graphite and the kindle 3, and was curious about what people who owns both (well 2 or 2i for the 6" of course) do.

Last edited by Papi; 08-09-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Topic incomplete
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I own both. I only use the Kindle DXG. The Kindle 6" is not suitable for my reading needs (reading technical PDFs, scanned textbooks, engineering papers, scientific papers, etc). Reading these PDF documents on a 6" display is not comfortable. Now, as far as Kindle content is concerned, the larger display of the DXG gives you more text on the display. The 6" reader displays Kindle content well but there is less room on the display. PDFs don't display well on the 6". For PDFs, you need the DXG. The DXG is noticeably heavier than the 6" Kindle and less portable. For my needs, however, the DXG is the way to go. The documents I read require the larger screen of the DXG.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you read "regular" books (that's what you mean by Kindle content i guess, but i'm not sure) on the DX also ? I know the DX is the way to go for PDF / technical documents, but i was more curious about the "regular" content. I was wondering if people would for example carry their DX with them, despite it being less practical than the 6".
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
If you have both i would say it depends on your reading behaviour. If you are a "mobile reader" you'll love your 6" more if you are the classic "chair at home" reader you will love the advantages of a much bigger screen.

Alsways keep in mind that the DX is heavier then the 6" kindle, its not a big issues but can got on your nerves after some hours (at least it does for me).

But in the end i really believe if you have "just" a 6" kindle you won't "miss" the DXG. At least that is what my experience is. As long as i have the bigger screen it is cool but if i would have to choose a 6" would be enough.

/EDIT To your question, it would never come to my mind to carry my DX around when i can grab my K2. But on the other hand if i would just call a DX my own it won't be to bulky or heavy to carry around.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I read on my DXG 100% of the time. I also moved from a K1 to a DXG so I like having collections and the new screen. I don't find the DXG to be too heavy, it actually is not that much heavier then my K1.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I had a Kindle 2 and Kindle DX briefly, and quickly ditched the Kindle 2. The Kindle DX isn't like HUGE, so if you have a backpack or want to carry it around, it's not so bad, admittedly the Kindle 2 is definitely a lot more portable, but the Kindle DX is sort of the size of a magazine.

That being said, I'm being sorely tempted to get rid of my DX right now and grab a Kindle 3...
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I own both and prefer reading on my DXG - and for the primary purpose of reading nonfiction and some novels. Rarely do I read PDFs or other documents on it. The improvement of the Pearl display is a major reason I prefer the DXG in addition to the beautiful big screen.

That said, I still use my K2 regularly (and have pre-ordered a K3) since I spend half of my time traveling and the K2's size is a bit more convenient. However, traveling with the DX is certainly no problem.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I had a Kindle 2 and Kindle DX briefly, and quickly ditched the Kindle 2. The Kindle DX isn't like HUGE, so if you have a backpack or want to carry it around, it's not so bad, admittedly the Kindle 2 is definitely a lot more portable, but the Kindle DX is sort of the size of a magazine.

That being said, I'm being sorely tempted to get rid of my DX right now and grab a Kindle 3...
So you'd rather take a kindle 3 than a DX Graphite ? Mainly because of price, or ... ? your post made me think you'd prefer the DXG.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I prefer my DXG for the larger screen and will carry it away from home if I expect an extended reading session but I use my smaller Kindle when running errands so I can squeeze in a couple minutes of reading.

Most of my reading is fiction but the larger DXG screen is very nice for technical documents, not perfect for pdfs but good enough for my use.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I have the regular DX, not the G, and the Kindle 1. I got the DX for the global 3G and for the larger screen, since I was having eye issues and I needed increasingly larger print. Now that some of those issues are fixed I usually read on the DX at home, and take the K1 out with me. I do hope to get the K3 though, both for the global 3G and the Pearl screen, and then I'll retire my K1, since I can't use the Sprint connection where I live.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
So you'd rather take a kindle 3 than a DX Graphite ? Mainly because of price, or ... ? your post made me think you'd prefer the DXG.
More or less it's about the money. I'm still a student so money isn't exactly plentiful. First off I'm obviously looking at the $200 gap in prices. But also the fact that the Kindle 3 is the newer device. If I were to try and sell it on eBay or something, I'm sure the Kindle 3 would be easier to get rid of. I'm also worried that the DX may get a revision in the near future as the DXG wasn't exactly a drastic change.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Papi
Addict

Wouldn't be the DXG be more or less like the Kindle 3 version, minus Wi-Fi ? Given they put the same firmware on the DXG as on the 3 of course...I thought the Kindle 3 and DXG were the same hardware, except Wi-Fi and the screen of course.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur

Perhaps, I'm not exactly in a position to speculate about future revisions and such, but personally I think missing WiFi is pretty huge.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
As a DXG owner I am hoping that the additional PDF functionality and languages are updated on the DXG when the K3 is released. There is no guarentee that that will happen. If it does the only real difference between the DXG and the K3 will be the WiFi. The DXG introduced the Pearl Screen, so the only difference would be the screen size.

Keep in mind that you have 30 days to return a Kindle for a full refund if you are not happy with it. You only need to worry about the resale value if you keep it past the 30 days.

I was fine with the K1 for two years before I upgrade to the DXG. The 6 inch screen is similar to a paperback. I prefer the larger screen on the DXG but I can't say that I would pay the extra $200 for it if money was tight.

Is there a way to ask for Amazon gift certificates for a gift and use that money to get a DXG if you get enough?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
As a DXG owner I am hoping that the additional PDF functionality and languages are updated on the DXG when the K3 is released. There is no guarentee that that will happen. If it does the only real difference between the DXG and the K3 will be the WiFi. The DXG introduced the Pearl Screen, so the only difference would be the screen size.
Hopefully when the kindle 3 is out they will make the upgrade available for the DX version, and I don't see why they wouldn't, but I understand nothing is for certain.

Quote:
Keep in mind that you have 30 days to return a Kindle for a full refund if you are not happy with it. You only need to worry about the resale value if you keep it past the 30 days.
Interesting...I guess I wouldn't get the import fees deposit back (I'm in France), but still that's pretty nice to have the possibility to test it for 30 days.

Quote:
I was fine with the K1 for two years before I upgrade to the DXG. The 6 inch screen is similar to a paperback. I prefer the larger screen on the DXG but I can't say that I would pay the extra $200 for it if money was tight.
Quote:
Is there a way to ask for Amazon gift certificates for a gift and use that money to get a DXG if you get enough?
Unfortunately, my birthday is too far away for my patience to bear (not sure that was correct English).

I could afford buying the DXG right now, even though I think it's a bit pricey (twice as much as the kindle 3G + wifi...and i would have to get a cover too).
I could use the large screen for some scans of comics, but I could also live without it...So I wonder if it's worth spending the extra money. Reading the replies of this thread, it seems people having the DXG still want the kindle 3, even get rid of the DX / DXG maybe ? Makes me think the big screen is not that much of an advantage if you don't really need it.
But the 30 days return policy is tempting...

Thanks everybody for the replies by the way !