Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
nickbaer
nickbaer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Photos are Negative (Inverse)

I have 189 Kindle books. Now it is time to convert them to ePub for the iPad.

The books are photo books. My source files are PDF. 43 pages of photos, and one title page with text.

The first page looks good. The Title page actually looks good considering all I've read about text looking bad.

BUT!! The images on the rest of the 43 pages are color NEGATIVE, INVERSE, black is white, white is black, reds are green, etc etc.

The photos are negative!

The source photos were made in PhotoShop as 300DPI CMYK TIFF.
The Books were created in InDesign.
The original PDF was exported from InDesign.
The reduced PDF was made in Acrobat Professional.

The original PDFs are used on CreateSpace for printed books.

The reduced files are on Kindle - and look great.

But when I use Calibre and make the ePub, the first page photo is correct, the second page text looks good, and the rest are NEGATIVE.

When I open it in Stanza, I only get page 1.
nickbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
nickbaer

Actually, in Stanza, no pages with photos are available.

Only the title page, in text. page 2.
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Do you still have the InDesign files? Why not just do an ePub export from there, instead of trying to create a crappy conversion from a PDF?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
nickbaer

1) No. Some of the books are 3 years old, when CreateSpace started doing books.

I have 189 of them, and the drive space required to keep all intermediary files wasn't part of the budget then. 50 images 300DPI, 50 page idd, 50 page pdf, 50 page Optimized pdf, 50 page reduced pdf, Cover idd, cover pdf, cover Optimized pdf, Cover Optimized Reduced pdf, Interior pdf inserted in Cover pdf.

2) The PDFs work fine in Kindle.

You answer doesn't pertain to the question: "Why inverse?". Calibre makes the images inverse or negative.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
You answer doesn't pertain to the question: "Why inverse?". Calibre makes the images inverse or negative.
No, it doesn't; I was trying to help you create a better end product, rather than stumbling down an alley I was hoping you didn't need to go down.

It sounds like Calibre is assuming (or being told by metadata?) that images are RGB instead of CMYK, or vis versa.

Your best bet is probably going to be filing a bug report, including a sample PDF that doesn't convert correctly.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
PDF inverted color

This is a known problem with PDF conversions in calibre. I don't know if there is a ticket on it, but Kovid is aware of it. It wasn't a big deal for me, since I was only doing them one at a time and it is not hard to remove and replace them.

But doing 189 of them is a different story.

You might use the mobi converter which produces html as an intermediate file and then convert those files to epub.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote