Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
basic needs, which reader?

Hi, I'm in Canada and hoping to get an eReader soon. I have basic needs, with no real desire for stuff like dictionaries, notes, etc. WiFi would be great though for easier connectivity, and 3G access wouldn't hurt either.

I've played with both the Sony PRS-300 and PRS-600. It goes without saying that the 300 has the nicer screen and I don't really think the touch aspect is all that important. However, I would only be able to use the 300 with small text size, otherwise I'd be constantly flipping pages. So my first question is what text size do you usually use? S, M, or L?

One other downside to the 600 is the price here in Canada. It is $349, compared to $249 for the 300.

Another alternative is the Nook. It is 6", costs less than the PRS-600 (although I'd have to do a short drive across the border to pick it up), and includes WiFi and 3G. Perhaps the 3G would be useful at some point in time.

Finally, the Bebook Neo looks very promising. I don't care too much about the stylus, but for the same cost as the PRS-600 I would get WiFi. I don't know how easy it is to order one from Canada and get it shipped to here or a US address.

Any sage advice out there?
thanks
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Try here http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_301.html

Or here http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_302.html
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The Bebook Neo is a rebranded Onyx Boox 60, which you can order for instance from onyxboox.com for USD 299.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
The Bebook Neo is a rebranded Onyx Boox 60, which you can order for instance from onyxboox.com for USD 299.
They are currently quoting $299 for delivery in April!
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are currently quoting $299 for delivery in April!
With a free 2GB SD card and a free leather case!

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 02-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Is a wall charger included too? If not, are there generic ones that work with the boox? How much is shipping to Canada?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Is a wall charger included too? If not, are there generic ones that work with the boox? How much is shipping to Canada?
The wall adaptor is included but it is the 100V-240V adaptor.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
check out the pocketbook 360
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I ended up getting a used PRS-300 for $170cdn (they cost $249 in stores here).
I probably won't be using it too much just yet, as I have a backlog of two or three paper books that I might want to read first.
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote