Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Smile MahJonG ... and "FiveBalls." Another game for Sony PRS500 (505?!?)

Hi!

Here is a ARE two new little games for Sony Readers PRS500 (and maybe also 505).

( Only in mid-december 2008 did I post two versions of a MahJonG game for
PRS-500 and PRS-505 in a new thread each. If you are curious... )

I didn't really expect my game to be placed as a "sticky" here. But I am not angry, either
Here are two links to the first game for Sonys and to another game - a dictionary launching app I made (building on obelix's basic "research")...
SUDOKU game for PRS-500 and PRS-505
Dictionary for Sony PRS500/5 (autorun from SD card)

It's a clone of a game I saw at my brother's cell phone.
There it runs with 5 sorts of differently coloured balls (which I imitated with patterned balls...). To make up for this drawback I added a kind of status line (above) that informs about remaining numbers of balls.

The playing field consists of ten columns with 12 balls each (at the beginning). You must "kill" groups of identical neighbouring balls.
The aim of the game is to "arrange" the largest groups possible before "killing" as points are given roughly by square (actually: 5 balls=> 5*4 => 20p / 20 balls=> 20*19 => 380p. If 20 balls are "killed" in 4 groups of 5 you'll only get 80 points!).
So it makes sense to concentrate on one or two sorts and neglect (= "kill") others.

"Score" is displayed at bottom (total /ball group); highscore is saved and shown below (plus some internal debugging information).
(My brother's highscore is about 1,200 points. There once was a version of FiveBalls that allowed "killing" of single balls: my best there were 1,930 points!)

You navigate from column to column by the number buttons. The joystick moves the cursor "up/down" one position, "left/right" three positions - but also up/down
(if you can't find the cursor, just move it...).
"ENTER" kills your balls / "SIZE" displays a help window / "MARK" starts a new game (you'll probably get a higher score if the status line shows some numbers to be "30" or above) / "MENU" opens a close-down-window.

I spent so much time playing it that navigation is intuitive for me now; it might be less so for you. (Anybody interested can edit "label.png" in "skins"...).

When I first saw the original game I thought "That's a nice and easy game. I want that on my Sony!"
I worked for a few hours on ball patterns, later on found them too complicated / too vague / too similar, tried triangles, stars and "pentagons" but ended up with quite simple patterns - after about 2 days work time all added up. Poooh.
I use 10 arrays for the balls - but get them transformed into a single one for comparison (ball position plus/minus one and: plus/minus ten).
The right-most button "0" actually addresses the left-most array, lower pixel values are situated higher up on the screen... I had to do a vast lot of shifting values and positions therefore.
I would probably organize data in a different way next time. I learned a lot!

So far I'm aware of one minor bug. There may be other undetected ones.
I did the developing for my own fun. If you like it - tell me so!
(I write code very "compact" because of my minute iBook screen. I only attach comments in early source versions, usually. But documentation could be made available.)
Also, if you have a favourite game you'd like to see on Sonys - just mention it here. I might try my luck (but please: no "chess" or "go"...).

Oh - I forgot "Installation":
Unzip the file and put "Sony Reader" into the root directory of your SD card (USB might also work, I assume).
Attached Files
File Type: zip FiveBalls.zip (54.5 KB, 2008 views)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 12-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Sweet! Clemenseken =

Thanks
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks again for another app! Haven't tried this one yet, but it's really cool to see the homebrew software library for the reader expanding.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
played well in the prs-505

thanks!!

Last edited by surquizu; 07-07-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: image
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Very nice. I am downloading now. Thanks for sharing your work.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
This is great!!!!

Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the apps.. it is so nice!
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
svakanda
Enthusiast
svakanda began at the beginning.

ooooh thankyou!!!
svakanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Is there a way to have both games available? Or, do I need to have a separate SD card for each?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
bump bump
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
Can I put sudoku and the 5balls game on the same card?

What is the minimum size card I can use if I can only put one game per card? -nevermind, bought 2 two GB cards, however...

Can I put music on the remaining part of the 2GB or does the card have to be dedicated to the game only?

Last edited by willanaya; 05-21-2009 at 09:52 PM.
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Arrow Details for games on SD cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
Can I put sudoku and the 5balls game on the same card?
Yes, you can - BUT only one will start: Sony-PRS will look for <Sony Reader><software><autorun.js> and start whatever is written here. You may put both apps onto the card but will have to rename the one folder you do not want to play to "not-software" or s.th. ...
Quote:
What is the minimum size card I can use if I can only put one game per card? -nevermind, bought 2 two GB cards, however...
I developed all my games on a 16MB card.
Quote:
Can I put music on the remaining part of the 2GB or does the card have to be dedicated to the game only?
Yes, you can!
When you "quit" the game all contents that are visible to the PRS will appear in your music/book/... menus. BUT: Playing music or reading books from a card will drain battery power somewhat faster - imho.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
curiouspiper
curiouspiper began at the beginning.

Nice work! Now I just have get an ereader -*sigh*-
curiouspiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
nice job Clemenseken, thank you very much
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Clemenseken
Your game was integrated into:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/

I'll remove it, of course, in case you have objections.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote