Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Manga / Comics on the 300 - Are they ledgeable ?

I've mentioned of this before in a few other threads but I'll make this just 1 dedicated thread on the topic.
There maybe others out there who mostly read novels but still would like to dabble in a comic/manga or two.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy 2x e-readers on the weekend.
I just have to know if this manga will be ledgeable and not annoying on the eyes to read for sessions of about 1 hour.
It's my brother's favourite series but if not i'll have to look at getting something else. I'm liking everything so far about the sony, so this is key.

I know it's going to be very tiny, but so are the comics in various newspapers.
The one thing this has going for is the high clarity. It's a birthday present and I'd like to wrap it up in comic paper.

I've attached some pics for someone with a 300 to test.
Someone with a 300 and a 505 comparison side by side photo would be great.
Perhaps "DrMoz" ? he seems to like his 300 a lot.

I know the PRS-300's screen is 5". What is the dimensions in cm x cm ?
5" is measure in diagonals across correct ?

I'd do it all myself if I was in the states, because i could return them if not happy, but I have to import.

I've chosen these samples with small crammed text.
They've been cropped and sharpened. pls let me know how they turn out.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Files
File Type: lrf comic_book_test - Unknown.lrf (442.7 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by 300com; 09-26-2009 at 01:48 AM.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
I've tried converting Sky Doll scans from Heavy Metal for reading in portrait mode since it has quite a large text and it looks mostly good on 600. Some places with small text are barely readable though. Having a landscape would probably help a lot.

Your LRF looks pretty good on 600. I'd imagine it would look almost the same on 300.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I have tested your example with a 505 (6") and it looks very nice and perfectly readable in normal light.
Do remember that one can also read in landscape (one page is 2 half’s this way) and thus getting an even better experience.

5” is the diagonal measure, and represents roughly 12,7 cms (5 x 2.54 cms).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Looks Good

I checked out the lrf you posted on my 300. It looks quite nice. I have attached pictures. I use my 300 regularly to view comics and I am quite impressed by the sharpness and readability of the screen. When the conversion is done to lrf, performance is quite good as well.

Luqman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-26 13.12.45.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	36555   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-26 13.13.01.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	36556   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-26 13.13.20.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	36557   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-09-26 13.13.32.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	36558  
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
I know the PRS-300's screen is 5". What is the dimensions in cm x cm ?
5" is measure in diagonals across correct ?
As I just mentioned to someone else in a PM:

A suggestion, though-- before buying, when I was trying to decide what the display would look like, I printed on paper samples of what I would be reading in the dimensions of the screen-- so, for the Reader Pocket, 4 inches tall by 3 inches wide and for the 600, 4.8 by 3.6 inches.

Easy way to get true dimensions and not the diagonal, which is what all references are measuring by:

http://af-design.com/services/javasc...-tube-size.php

The screen is the same aspect ratio as a standard TV, just turned on it's side (3:4 instead of 4:3) so plug in any diagonal size for a reader, and you can get the real-world measurements.

To convert inches into your "centimeters" you divide the number of inches by fortnights, then multiply the result by stones. I think.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I use my 300 regularly to view comics and I am quite impressed by the sharpness and readability of the screen.
Excellent, excellent answers everyone. This is fabulous !
The screen seems like it's tremendously small to read comics and yet when all is said and done someone comes out and says
"I use it all the time to read comics"

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and suggestions. I've measured and I think i'm going to print out to the exact dimensions, recommended by ardeegee, as soon as i can get my photoshop working. I've measure on my monitor to the exact dimensions with luqmaninbmore's photos but they are not readable at this size at all, but then the clarity is not the same as e*ink nor paper.

Tell me, in landscape mode . . . does it scroll down as you read a comic ?
or rather 'flick' to the second half of the page. . .

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Excellent, excellent answers everyone. This is fabulous !
The screen seems like it's tremendously small to read comics and yet when all is said and done someone comes out and says
"I use it all the time to read comics"

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and suggestions. I've measured and I think i'm going to print out to the exact dimensions, recommended by ardeegee, as soon as i can get my photoshop working. I've measure on my monitor to the exact dimensions with luqmaninbmore's photos but they are not readable at this size at all, but then the clarity is not the same as e*ink nor paper.

Tell me, in landscape mode . . . does it scroll down as you read a comic ?
or rather 'flick' to the second half of the page. . .

Glad to be of help. When in landscape mode it flicks to the second half. I had no problem reading the text of your manga even in portrait mode. The blurriness is due to my phone camera. I've been reading Wolverine: Old Man Logan and I've started on the invisibles. It's been perfectly adequate to the task, provided the source scans are good.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
snoopysnoozy
snoopysnoozy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wondering what kind of formats does 300 support? I understand that 505 can be hacked to introduct some PDF formats and Chinese formats. Wonder if 300 can support too?
snoopysnoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysnoozy View Post
Wondering what kind of formats does 300 support? I understand that 505 can be hacked to introduct some PDF formats and Chinese formats. Wonder if 300 can support too?
PDF is supported natively. You can add fonts if that's what you're thinking of, or just use Calibre to convert CBZ files to LRF format.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
snoopysnoozy
snoopysnoozy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
PDF is supported natively. You can add fonts if that's what you're thinking of, or just use Calibre to convert CBZ files to LRF format.
Mmmm..... I was thinking of fonts in terms of reading Chinese novels. Dun know if 300 will support.
snoopysnoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopysnoozy View Post
Mmmm..... I was thinking of fonts in terms of reading Chinese novels. Dun know if 300 will support.
If the fonts are embedded in the PDF, you're good. If it's an ePub, then the fonts can be included in the EPUB file. Otherwise, if it's an LRF file with Chinese fonts... you're out of luck.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I just bought a 5" in reader with intentions of putting some Lone Wolf and Cub on it as well. That is what the manga looks like. Mines are in jpg format though. :/ <cross fingers>

Last edited by Xerxes; 09-30-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
300com
Zealot

Hi Xerxes, which 5" did u buy and how did it turn out ?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Hi Xerxes, which 5" did u buy and how did it turn out ?
I got the Pocket Pro, so I can't test the sample page. But these jpgs I tested won't do the trick. Which is weird cause the LW and Cub books I remember are less than the 5" screen.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I read manga on my PRS-505 but not sure how the LRF would look on a smaller screen.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote