Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub embedded fonts

Does the ePub support on the Jetbook include displaying embedded fonts?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
And the sad answer is... no. In fact, the jetBook has very limited font support (Ariel and Helvetica only).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
And the sad answer is... no. In fact, the jetBook has very limited font support (Ariel and Helvetica only).
I hope more fonts will be available soon but when you read paper books you can't change fonts at all
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I hope more fonts will be available soon but when you read paper books you can't change fonts at all
True that. But, I don't know of any books that use a sans-serif font. To me, sans-serif just is not a body type font for books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
You mean Arial, a Microsoft rip-off of Helvetica, and Verdana. And although the question was about ePub, it has been pointed out many times before that PDFs can display their own fonts on the Jetbook.

Last edited by akira28; 09-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
You mean Arial, a Microsoft rip-off of Helvetica, and Verdana. And although the question was about ePub, it has been pointed out many times before that PDFs can display their own fonts on the Jetbook.
yes, it was discussed before:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=18
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Ah, thanks for correcting me. I didn't check before posting.
Yes, I use PDF's as well, as you can easily create them to be the same dimensions of the jetBook screen and use whatever font you want. Or foreign languages (Greek in particular for me). The page turn for custom PDF's is very fast compared to other files.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
jetreader
Banned
jetreader doesn't litterjetreader doesn't litter

Device: jetbook
How many fonts one needs? For ages people used Times or something that looked exacltly/almost like Times. What's going on with fonts is crazy. You can by 100 or 500 fonts but tomorrow you'l have another 500 produced by some computer geek. What's the point? I personally think that if you like it simple arial/helvetica (I prefer verdana) is for you, if you like it old fashioned - Times is your font. You just don't need anything else for symple reading purpose.
jetreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
In fact, the jetBook has very limited font support
Can you select between serif and san-serif fonts for ePubs? User-selectable default fonts for ePubs is a capability that Adobe Digital Editions does not have.

User-selectable fonts are supported by FBReader (which the jetBook may be based on), although FBReader for ePubs probably always uses the user-selected font for everything. It definitely does not support embedded fonts, but I'm not sure about named fonts that are already in its, system provided, list of known fonts.

I have a simple test ePub in What's the default ADE font?. When I try it using desktop FBReader, serif, sans-serif and monospace are all displayed in FBReader's single user-selected font but bold, italic and italic-bold all work. I don't know if FBReader is "faking" bold and italic (as ADE is doing) or using the packaged bold versions where available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
akira28
Nameless Being

I suppose if you don't like the embedded epub fonts then the Jetbook may be what you want. I wonder if the venerable Sony 505 supports embedded epub fonts and overriding them.

Edit:
The thread originator has not answered my question. Posting question in the Sony forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...524#post594524

Last edited by akira28; 09-16-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Update