Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
New WinCE machine

Several people have mentioned old WinCE machines (HP 720 and NEC 800, among them) recently, but Engadget has news on a new one being marketed by a company called JoinTech (never heard of them) as an alternative to the EeePC. Take a look. Would be nicer if it had an actual memory card slot, rather than relying on USB for storage. It does have 64 MB of RAM and 64 MB of internal storage, but that would fill pretty quick.

Otherwise, it has a 7" screen with a 800x480 res, and runs WinCE 5.0, but it does not specify Windows Mobile, so installing other apps make require some extra work. No ebook reader included. Also, only four hours of battery. Still, it is only US$100 new. I have been on the lookout for a replacement for my old Psion Series 7 for a long time, but the two WinCE machines I've tried were disappointments, so I would have to see some pretty good reviews before I dropped a c-note on this. Any takers?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The $99 is actually the wholesale price, not retail. And if you look at the attached spec sheet, you'll see that it does have an SD card slot.

BTW, if you want to replace your Psion 7, I have a spare Psion Netbook Pro I am eager to part with. It has the same screen, keyboard, and general hardware design as the Psion 7; but runs WinCE. Or if you want another Psion 7, I do know a retailer who carries them both refurbished and new.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Laptop_JL7100_Datesheet.pdf (818.9 KB, 721 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert