Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Sean Whitton
Sean Whitton doesn't litterSean Whitton doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Recent personal documents show filename rather than document title on homescreen

Hi, newly registered to the forums but read many threads found via Google :-)

I've got Calibre automatically copying the Guardian to my Kindle each morning, and I also send documents using Kindlebility, but all of a sudden newly transferred files are being displayed by their .mobi filename rather than their title on the homescreen. So older issues of the paper have "The Guardian and the Observer" and today's says "guardian", because my script generates the file guardian.mobi that then gets e-mailed off to Amazon.

Hitting right on an item displays its title, so it's not as if it's not being transferred.

Anyone know why this might be? Thanks.
Sean Whitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There seems to be a problem at the moment with documents e-mailed to a Kindle - there's a report on the Calibre forum about it. Hopefully Amazon will fix it soon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Serggg
Serggg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & Touch
I wrote to Amazon support team few hours ago and have got the following reply:
"Hello,
We'll have to look into your problem a little more deeply. I’ll have more information from our technical team within 3-5 business days or sooner so we can solve this.
I'm sorry I couldn't solve this problem right away and will write back soon."
Serggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I noticed that too, and was disappointed. I haven't changed any Calibre settings or updated it. I'm glad to hear Amazon is working on the problem.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
clanger9
clanger9 doesn't litterclanger9 doesn't litter

Same here - the filename/title behaviour changed over the last few days.

This appears to be an Amazon problem. I have reported it and will post back if/when they respond.
clanger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have the same problem and have to either sideload or use Dropbox to get my ebooks on my Kindle

They show up as, Author - Title Email Address when sending via email.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any news when this will be fixed or it's being even worked on?

I was told that when you send a PDF in to convert it always shows up with Filename - Email address but Kindle CS seems to not have a clue on Mobi files being sent in always showed up with the correct metadata information whether you used Calibre or not.

I've never sent in a PDF so I can't confirm if that is true or not. I just use Mobi files and convert my own PDFs myself.

I just realized something else. I am no longer getting the Personal Documents waiting message either.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-29-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Sean Whitton

No news here. Maybe best way to go is to all let Amazon support know so they get the message it's a bug.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I did but so far not too helpful. They don't seem to understand that PDF Conversation and Mobi being sent did two different things. Now I notice no Personal Documents Waiting messages are being sent either. This started after the 24th for me.

I wonder why there aren't more people screaming at the moment.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Sean Whitton

This is what they said in reply to me:

Quote:
From your message, I understand that "when sending .mobi files via the
Personal Documents Service, it results in being identified on the home
screen by their file name rather than their document title."

Further to your email, I have investigated this issue and found that
this situation was the result of some technical error.

Rest assured that our developers are working on a solution. These
errors are normally fixed quite quickly; perhaps you could try again
shortly.

If after 48 hours you are still experiencing the same issue, please
contact us by using the following link and we will investigate
further:
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Whitton View Post
This is what they said in reply to me:
Thanks for the update! Fingers crossed here!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
ancatdubh2
ancatdubh2 doesn't litterancatdubh2 doesn't litter

Has it been 48 hours yet??? LOL
ancatdubh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I tried early today and it still wasn't fixed.
I don't think it's been 48hrs though.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
olgs
olgs began at the beginning.

I spoke with Amazon just now and they said that this is the intended behaviour. I hope this is not the last word.
olgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgs View Post
I spoke with Amazon just now and they said that this is the intended behaviour. I hope this is not the last word.
I guess we need to start flooding the lines if that is the case. I know everyone is waiting patiently for it to be fixed so alot of peeps aren't reporting it as an issue. I have and get we are looking into it but that's it. *sigh*

Amazon I want my books to show Authors not my email address!