Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Large ebooks

I have a couple of large epub files (I also have pdf versions) that are about 20mb in size. It took a while for the Kobo to initialize after I installed them, but not too long. I installed them to an SD card. Now when I try to open one to read it I've been waiting for about 10 minutes while seeing a quote that shows up when loading a book, and watching the little progress star circle round and round in the top right corner. I understand that it is a large book and is quite complex so it will take a long time to load, but this seems excessive. I was wondering if it would make a difference to have the epub on internal memory? If this doesn't make much difference I'm wondering if I should load up the pdf version instead, but I'd rather have the re-flowed version. It's now 15 minutes and it still isn't viewing the book. I think I'll have to re-set.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
PDF support is awful. The text is way too small and if you zoom in to any degree (even in landscape) it will run off the page. Trying to then scroll across the page at every line of text will take ages. Not worth it.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I dunno it might be the files themselves, I've read 500mb pdf files off my sd card and they read just fine except a noticably little increase in the time it takes to turn a page. But since your talking about epub format, i Don't know.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The pdf is working ok. Some of my pdf's are hard to read, but fortunately I think they used a larger font for this one as it seems fine, I am able to read it ok at 100% size in landscape mode. It is an MS Access 2007 textbook so it is filled with images and has a long table of contents, perhaps that is why it takes so long to load in the epub format? Someone in my office has Acrobat Pro, so I think I'm also going to try and see if I can remove some of the white margin on the edges which will also help. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
plaid
Connoisseur

Figured out how to fix the problem with the large epub files. I just used Calibre to convert the epub I purchased to an epub, choosing the Kobo as default output. The file size decreased by a few mb and whatever the problem was it is fixed. The Kobo actually opens the file now and works fine!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankKau View Post
PDF support is awful. The text is way too small and if you zoom in to any degree (even in landscape) it will run off the page. Trying to then scroll across the page at every line of text will take ages. Not worth it.
pdf format works great for converting pocket book sized books like manga cbr files.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I did a convert that came back as 400mb. It took so long to process that I thought that I had locked up my kobo. Takes a heck of a long time to open too. I removed it from my Kobo.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote