Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Flattr, a micropayment service to show your love

Or so they advertise themselves, as a social micropayment system, created by one of The Pirate Bay's founders. I find the concept nicely fitting to the idea of "you do something great and you get your reward". The idea is pretty much like Karma, but monetised. I found it refreshing, so I signed up and now I have some invite codes. I'll try and experiment with the thing when I'm in Spain ^^
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Or so they advertise themselves, as a social micropayment system, created by one of The Pirate Bay's founders. ^^
Is it just me or does anyone else find the idea of entrusting one of the founders of The Pirate Bay with access to any of my money less than appealing? YARRRR!!!
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, I myself am not sold on the whole Social Micro Payment idea. It just feels like you're robbing people in tiny increments. Kind of the ultimate case of nickel and diming. Then again, I may be totally misunderstanding the principle behind this, and it may actually be a really good thing. But yeah, I do agree with the idea that it's bad to go with something touched by ANY of the Pirate Bay guys. Especially given the lawsuits stacked against them, and the fact that they promote something I detest.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Interesting idea. Online tipping. hmmmmm
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if that's all it is, I'm all for it. But again, at the same time, it's run by a former TPB member, which is a no-no in my book.
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, if that's all it is, I'm all for it. But again, at the same time, it's run by a former TPB member, which is a no-no in my book.
Why do you hold that enmity against TPB? It's a point of mere curiosity.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Why do you hold that enmity against TPB? It's a point of mere curiosity.
I agree. I don't see any reason not to trust them. At least you know who they are....sort of.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I'm not defending the TPB crowd, but as far as the security and privacy concerns go I would just as quickly not trust Mr Facebook ...

Otherwise I think this is a fine idea.
Isn't there a PayPal app for iPhone already for this kind of stuff?
A friend of mine sent out a message to all his contacts asking for $10,000 through the app. His dad didn't find it funny at all
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa

I've toyed around with the thing, without still putting money. There is a minimum fee of 2 euro and a maximum of 20 with which you have to tip other people.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It's an interesting idea, but ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

I'm not saying the idea isn't good, but it's run buy a guy who promoted the theft of software and movies, and then laughed in the face of hollywood while doing it. That's my biggest beef with them. I am not against file sharing in its true definition, but what they were doing was blatant promotion of theft. Yes, they did some good too by doing some proper file sharing, but the bulk of their operation focused around illegal activity. Can you trust someone to handle your money after they've had their hands dirtied with copyright infringement and product theft? That's all I'm saying.

Personally, I like the idea of tipping someone in appreciation for what they're doing. I just don't like who's running it. And if I can't trust the owner, I can't trust the service. Now I might be proven wrong, and I'd honestly love to be, but right now I'm not trusting it.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
[QUOTE=Steven Lake;913122]the bulk of their operation focused around illegal activity. QUOTE]

Actually, until fairly recently, what they were doing was perfectly legal in their own country. Any laws that were broken were done so by people accessing the site from other countries. A bit like how people who download some of the free ebooks from this website would be breaking the law if they lived outside America.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote