Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
intipuss
intipuss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
one book deleting when another added

I am being driven mad by new Kobo ( this is the second one in 8 weeks) When I use Calibre I add one book and something happens and another is deleted! I rebooted the Kobo and started again from fesh. I added 4 books and only 3 loaded. The I added the missing one and one of the others deleted! After looking at my Kobo on the G:/ I found some books that were not mine and also found some of the missing books in seperate folders with titles or authors marked as unknown. any ideas???
intipuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dear intipuss... Have you read the other thread you have started on this topic, and tried to follow the advice given in it?

To reflect your memory ...

one book added and one deletes
addone book to Glo via calibre and another deletes
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
intipuss

Yes, I followed all the ideas. The story above IS different from my last thread as it now appears to be Calibre that the problem exists with. Books download from KObo or Adobe Digital ( the old version - NOT the new 2.0 version) libraries.
I downloaded 1 book at a time and one other book is deleted from what appears on the Calibre library. However, when I looked at the device itselfon Calibre there were 4 books on it that were not mine ( maybe test books when checking it???) BUT I did find my deleted books - They are in individual folders with EITHER the author OR title now listed as unknown. I tried to move them to the main library but that failed. any ideas how to do so?
the other problem is I tried to download a 'job lot' of 10 books but only one would download to library
I am totally sick of this Kobo Glo and think I will just go back to a Sony Ereader if I cannot get this resolved
Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just to check:
Are you using a recent version off Calibre? (Current version is 0.9.23)
Did you use Calibre to load books onto your Sony reader successfully?

I am not sure I understand your description of what is happening, so sorry if this is off track, but it sounds like the books you added to Calibre have missing author/title metadata, and so perhaps the filenames that Calibre uses when copying the books to your Glo (which are based on author/title) are clashing.

When you select the book in Calibre and press the Edit Metadata button, are the "author sort" and "title sort" fields filled in and correct?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think I agree with PeterT, this looks like a continuation of the other problem. The extra info is really just answering some of the questions I posted. But, you are still saying that each time you add a book, one on the device disappears.

If you have books that are going onto the device and then not added to the devices library, that usually means there is a bad book amongst them. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207931 for info about this.

As Geoff said, the unknown author or titles usually mean the metadata is missing in the books. But, some formats don't include it at all. Have a look https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2455363 for a discussion of this.

What you have not described in any of these threads is what you are actually seeing. I have assumed you are saying that when you send a book, disconnect the device, see the processing screen on the device and then look at the library list on the device, that the new book is there, but a book that was previously in the library list is missing. Can you confirm that is what you mean or explain in detail what is happening?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
intipuss

missing books

It's simply as I said.

I add a book to Calibre and it's on the Kobo with all info/metadata.
I add another book from the Calibre library to my Kobo and as soon as thats added you can see & watch the green tick disappearing from another that you previously had on the library. I checked the Kobo after disconnecting it properly - the new book is there and the 'deticked' book has gone. I found some of the 'disappeared' in seperate folders in Kobo - although all info was there previously ( author, title etc) and now its showing up in these folders as title unknown/author unknown.

Many thanks for everyones help, but I have now given up with calibre and moved on EPUBOR Ultimate which although has no library as such, allows me to convert the books to EPub and they don't delete.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by intipuss View Post
It's simply as I said.

I add another book from the Calibre library to my Kobo and as soon as thats added you can see & watch the green tick disappearing from another that you previously had on the library. I checked the Kobo after disconnecting it properly - the new book is there and the 'deticked' book has gone. I found some of the 'disappeared' in seperate folders in Kobo - although all info was there previously ( author, title etc) and now its showing up in these folders as title unknown/author unknown.

Many thanks for everyones help, but I have now given up with calibre and moved on EPUBOR Ultimate which although has no library as such, allows me to convert the books to EPub and they don't delete.
No it is NOT!
This is NOT Normal Send to device operation.

Since you imply that the Title and Author are set correctly as GeoffR suggested, you may have a corrupt plugboard setting, a poor Save Template
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's simply as I said.

The shame is that you did not seem to want to work with people here to track down the issue.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
OP also tried using ADE to copy books over and was unsuccessful, so obviously it is not a Calibre issue.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It's simply as I said.

It does sound simple, but the next line below was not mentioned before and was the type of information I was trying to get from you: a more detailed description of what was happening. Unfortunately, this still isn't enough to debug what is happening.
Quote:
This is really strange behaviour and I would really like to solve it. The first part suggests the save template is set to use the same file name all the time. But, I can't think of a way for the rest to happen.

Quote:
Well, you could continue using calibre, disable the Kobo Touch driver and use "Save to disk" to put the converted books onto the device. You can save either directly to the device, or to somewhere on the computer and then copy to the device. Doing that means there is no interaction between calibre and the database on the device. And any problems you have will not be caused by calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
You posted here apparently with no real desire to troubleshoot your problem. In the previous thread and this thread you never answer any of davidfor's questions. For the record this is not a calibre problem since it is unique to your machine and reader. I also believe if you wanted to correct this issue, that by providing the information requested we could have helped you solve your unique problem.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
intipuss

thank you for all your comments , nice or not so nice. Let me be blunt - YOU may be all computer wizzards - I am not. I am a plain ordinary human who is an expert in looking after human beings and making them better - not ereaders or software. We all have differing levels of understanding of any given subject, for computers and software mine is slightly above basic. If I help others in any way or form, I treat them with respect and based an understanding of their level of competence help them understand what is wrong and what you need to do to resolve it. Clearly that does not always happen here. It is also up to an individual when they have had enough - as I have.
After this post I will be removing myself from the whole site. I would rather do without help than deal with some of the childish attitudes shown. I would be embarrased If that was how I or anyone I knew offered help.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
thank you for all your comments , nice or not so nice. Let me be blunt - YOU may be all computer wizzards - I am not. I am a plain ordinary human who is an expert in looking after human beings and making them better - not ereaders or software. We all have differing levels of understanding of any given subject, for computers and software mine is slightly above basic. If I help others in any way or form, I treat them with respect and based an understanding of their level of competence help them understand what is wrong and what you need to do to resolve it. Clearly that does not always happen here. It is also up to an individual when they have had enough - as I have.
After this post I will be removing myself from the whole site. I would rather do without help than deal with some of the childish attitudes shown. I would be embarrased If that was how I or anyone I knew offered help.
Did you just claim that some of us were not Human
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I realize that intipuss will probably never see this, but I think (s)he has to realize that at no point did they attempt to work with the community to resolve their problems; all we were ever told was that adding a book to the kobo removed another; when questions were asked in order to get more data to help resolve this, we were stonewalled.

Many MANY people have Kobo's and use calibre, and no one else has ever reported an issue like this. This tends to lead one to the conclusion that it is user error; without detailed info on what is being done and how, screen shots, and even log files, solving a problem like this is impossible.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Cherev
Cherev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
solution

Hi,

I just had this problem. For the first time. Third ereader, been using calibre for three years or so now.

ISBN numbers on the books were identical (field: ids). Deleted those and both were transferred.

Cheers
Cherev is offline   Reply With Quote