Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Question for Kindle Owners

I recently discovered that at least one of the AZW ebooks I purchased from Amazon did not have DRM. It's Alice in Wonderland, and Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 read it just fine. I would appreciate it if everyone would check the ebooksthey bought from Amazon. Do you have one without DRM? If so, can you post the name here?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
somebuddy
somebuddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My understanding is that all Amazon books are DRM-free. What they don't read are DRM-protected books, which forces you to buy the new DRM-free books from them (unless you hack your Kindle and old books.)
somebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
My understanding is that all Amazon books are DRM-free. What they don't read are DRM-protected books, which forces you to buy the new DRM-free books from them (unless you hack your Kindle and old books.)
Um, no. Kindle DRM is basically identical to Mobipocket. You should read this, and follow the links.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Yes, I have bought many books from Amazon that were DRM free. But, I think all the eBooks have DRM that is equivilent to Mobipocket, yet not as good cause you can't read them on your PC or other mobi capable devices.

Amazon is a study in opposites. They were the first company to come out with 100% DRM free eMusic using the ubiquitious MP3 format. Yes, their Books and Movies are still loaded down with DRM.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
bostonte
Enthusiast
bostonte began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Lie Still by David Farris (generic mass-market thriller fiction)

Mobipocket Reader says the book is "Encrypted Mobipocket Format" when you look at the details, but it displays on at least 3 different Mobi readers with different PID's (2 PC, one Palm).

I assume that's what you mean when you say no-DRM -- i.e. open to any PID it would seem.

None of the other books I've bought from Amazon and had time to check will open in Mobipocket Reader.

Sidenote: I had a similar experience with Mobi's loaned from my library's Overdrive service. At least half of the ones I've used so far barf on the kindlefix script, but open unmodified just fine with the Kindle and any mobi reader I've tried. The others are clearly properly set to my Kindle PID, only work after fixing, and only work on the Kindle.

Your example would be public domain and likely intentional. I would think mine was a mistake?
bostonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I recently discovered that at least one of the AZW ebooks I purchased from Amazon did not have DRM. It's Alice in Wonderland, and Mobipocket Desktop 6.0 read it just fine. I would appreciate it if everyone would check the ebooksthey bought from Amazon. Do you have one without DRM? If so, can you post the name here?
If the book is being sold by a third party via Amazon Digital Services it is very likely that it doesn't contain DRM. I think all the Fictionwise books being sold via Amazon are like this. I think they are just non-DRM mobipocket with the file extension changed to .azw.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Amazon is a study in opposites. They were the first company to come out with 100% DRM free eMusic using the ubiquitious MP3 format. Yes, their Books and Movies are still loaded down with DRM.
I think that's more due to their being more music labels that are willing to let Amazon sell their stuff DRM-free. The music download business is a bit more mature and they've had more time to realize the upsides. The publishers may not be so inclined. Amazon needs their consent to sell their books. If they aren't willing to sell DRM-free, Amazon can't make them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The publishers may not be so inclined. Amazon needs their consent to sell their books. If they aren't willing to sell DRM-free, Amazon can't make them.
Yea, I understand that. But, it's like DeJaVu all over again!

"Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it." I never understood that quote, but it is so apparent in this DRM thing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I would agree with that but I think it's more the publishers being out of touch and not learning from the groundwork done by the music industry. They're struggling to maintain their relevance by clamping down rather than looking at a way to grow into a new role.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I just bought this Brooklyn Dodger book from the Kindle Store, changed the suffix to .prc and it works great on my Iliad...no drm!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZLY1MC/ref=yml_dp

Anyone else have a list of drm-free Kindle books?

I didn't expect this one to be drm-free---and would be much more likely to buy more if I knew before buying that it would work on other devices.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Anyone else have a list of drm-free Kindle books?
This may not be foolproof but I would expect the Kindle books that offer a sample to be DRMed and the ones that don't to be free of DRM.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post
This may not be foolproof but I would expect the Kindle books that offer a sample to be DRMed and the ones that don't to be free of DRM.

Bob

You may be right. The Dodger book with no drm had no sample. It is very short--only 82 pages on the Iliad.

I bought 2 other Kindle Dodger books (which offered samples) and they both had drm.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Kingston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit View Post

Bob
So far 2 for 2. This book had no sample and has no drm:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...6585189&sr=1-1

It seems the Kindle files which are labeled with a number rather than letters are drm free.

I went back and tried some old Kindle books that fit that description and voila...no drm.