Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
HTML5 elements in iPad magazines

I'm interested in adding HTML5 elements on my digital magazines (designed for iPad) which I've made with InDesign and Woodwing. I've tried to google some tutorials, blogs and other help for doing this but I haven't found any.

Let's say that I have a page with heading and some text and it's made in InDesign. I'd like the heading to slide on the page from left outside screen when the page is loaded. How can I do this? Should I make the heading as hotspot in InDesign or how can I add this functionality for the heading?
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
From other comments I have seen, InDesign does a bad (incomplete) job of creating epub files. I recommend you find Liz Castro's book - Epub Straight to the Point - it's mentioned in her blog:

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
You didn't say if your magazine was going to be ePub but asuming it is stuff like that doesn't get exported to ePub from inDesign. You would most likely have to hand code it yourself after exporting the main body to ePub. You will most probably limit your audience to only iPad owners if you succeed. Having a header move sounds like a big effort to me seeing as you cant even display an image in a table in iBooks, which is the iPad audience's main reader. There's nothing in Liz Castro's book about moving text. Just audio and video is about as fancy as it gets.

All of the fancy magazines I've seen for the iPad where stand alone apps.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Hmmh.. maybe this is wrong forum

My iPad magazines are not ePubs. They are standalone apps which have horizontal and vertical layout. Pages are made in InDesign with help of Woodwing and I use Content Server to make the standalone app for iPad. All the pages are images and in one XML file the images are referred in specific order so the magazine is readable in iPad.

I was wondering, how can I add some HTML5 elements to these pages e.g. to make some heading to slide on the page from outside the screen. I guess I have to use the Web element property in InDesign but how can I add the HTML5 functionality for sliding heading?
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Hmmh.. maybe this is wrong forum ?
I think you are on the money there, however if you find out please come back to the thread and point to the answer. I'm interested in how to make magazine apps for the iPad
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
MarkusHH
MarkusHH began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Hmmh.. maybe this is wrong forum
They are standalone apps which have horizontal and vertical layout. Pages are made in InDesign with help of Woodwing and I use Content Server to make the standalone app for iPad. All the pages are images and in one XML file the images are referred in specific order so the magazine is readable in iPad.
Hey Chang,

im usign inDesign an Woodwign aswell. I wondered if you can export the xml to the iPad (and open it on the device)? My App Structure looks something like this:

DigiMag_Template
FOLDER > Documents
FOLDER > Library
FOLDER > tmp

Is there any way, to export my files to the iPad?

King regards,
Markus
MarkusHH is offline   Reply With Quote