Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
<<snip...>> I've always wanted a second one to keep in the bathroom/bedroom, <<...snip>>...
My, my zatremis, my first thought upon seeing your post was something like "Now, there is my kind of person!!"

Gene
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
omg! a bathroom kindle! I love it! I actually really keep plain old paper books in the bathroom so I'll always have *something* in case my reader is still in my purse.

<--always a tiny bit afraid my reader will jump in the potty when I'm not looking....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Yup, yup. A Kindle for the bathroom. Magazines, newspapers for the win!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #19
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, you will need to turn the wireless on to allow it to sync. Here is what the User Guide says about it:

Reading Across Multiple Kindles
If you read the same Kindle Store book across multiple Kindles, you’ll find Whispersync makes
it easy for you to switch back and forth. Whispersync synchronizes the bookmarks and furthest
page read among devices registered to the same account<<....snip>>
BOb

I was reading this thread, asking the question to the above answer in my head. I was going to ask about sync between devices after I read the last post. Rats. I just got a Kindle (original) via eBay, and decided to cancel my order for a K-2. With the above feature in mind, it might be nice to have two.....
Hmmmm............
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Maybe the Kindle II text to voice would sound better in a bathroom
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #21
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
Yup, yup. A Kindle for the bathroom. Magazines, newspapers for the win!
Although, and alas, Amazon magazine and newspaper subscriptions for the Kindle cannot be shared among the Kindles registered to an account. Only books.

Depending on relative usage, my bathroom Kindle might be designated the newspaper Kindle.

I'm eager for kovidgoyal to whittle down that todo list and get to email support in calibre. Then my new bathroom kindle could get automatic Economist updates. My paper Economist subscription lives in the bathroom, afterall.

I did briefly research other solutions (e.g. writing a script for windows that would email the latest file for me, or whether my LogMeIn Pro file sharing options included folders and not just files (so I could just use the basic web browser to get it) -- no it doesn't). I do have a ReadyNAS. I think it can expose a folder on the web. But then I'd need to punch holes in my firewall and set up dynamic dns to track my DSL IP, bleah.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #22
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Although, and alas, Amazon magazine and newspaper subscriptions for the Kindle cannot be shared among the Kindles registered to an account. Only books.
Really?! That is unfortunate. I suppose maybe (maybe) I could see why that might be though.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
tiny goddess
tiny goddess began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post
my magazines wouldn't be strewn all around the bathroom floor. lol
You strew in the loo?? Oh, my!
tiny goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
HAHA One of the biggest downsides of Kindle is the inability to read in the bathtub!

Oh I know you CAN do it, but I'm scared to death. Hasn't everyone dropped their book in the tub at least once?

I really wish some vendor would develop fitted Kindle wetsuits! I know you can buy waterproof bags that will work but they're big and clunky. I want something that's sized perfectly for the device.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
we need a study on the lifespan of poopy germs on a Kindle compared to Sony
Someone donate a Kindle to the cause (my bathroom) and I'll be sure to run the tests.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #26
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I thought that -- while the newspaper/magazine will only be sent to one Kindle -- you could at least download to your computer for the second Kindle?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Is it safe to take a Kindle or any ebook reader into the bathroom? i'd love to take my ebookwise into the tub with me but am hampered by the stern warnings in the manual saying NOT to do so.

I'd buy a Kindle if it were guaranteed waterproof! :-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Is it safe to take a Kindle or any ebook reader into the bathroom? i'd love to take my ebookwise into the tub with me but am hampered by the stern warnings in the manual saying NOT to do so.

I'd buy a Kindle if it were guaranteed waterproof! :-)
There are several treads about this. Several have recommended water proof bags which the kindle will fit in and still be clear enough to read the screen without worry of dropping/splashing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #29
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I thought that -- while the newspaper/magazine will only be sent to one Kindle -- you could at least download to your computer for the second Kindle?
No, the DRM prevents that and the other Kindle won't open the file. When you download a book to your computer, they first ask you which Kindle it is for. With subscriptions, you don't get to choose (you can change which ones future deliveries (and their downloads) will go to, but any single issue will only be for one Kindle (whether delivered wirelessly or downloaded).

Many (most? all?) subscriptions are AZW, though.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #30
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
No, the DRM prevents that
LOL, at first I thought you were referring to taking the Kindle into the bathroom!
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote