Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I use the css to define how the tags work, rather than using css classes. I have a standard css file that goes into each epub.

Use <body> rather than <body class="calibre7">
Use <p> rather than <p class="calibre7">
Use <i>, <b>, <sup> rather than <span class="calibre7">
Use <h3> rather than <h3<span class="calibre7"><span class="calibre8"><span class="calibre9">

Section breaks are: <p class="center">&mdash;&mdash;</p>
This makes them very visible, especially at the bottom and top of a page.

I generally only use <span> for things like smalling the font (small caps) or messing with the formatting.

This all keeps the html as simple as possible. And lets me use the adjustments on the devices to do a chunk of the format handling.

I also do the following to override formats: <p class="noindent FontSansSerif FontSize08">
That is roughly what I do. Styles for the tags and only use classes for the exceptions. About the only thing different I do is to use a class to separate the section breaks unless it has an asterisk or two in it.
Quote:

Nope, I've been reading a series of books, all recently formatted. The first few didn't have this problem, the later ones do.

I am doing a lot of annotion in the books, though.
Interesting, I could see annotations messing up the position calculation, if it works how I think it works. But, I have taken a lot of annotations in the book I finished today and I had no reopening position problems with it.

Also, you might want to look at the book Lynx-Lynx (who I hope lives in Woy Woy or Wagga Wagga) mentioned. It has some in-line pictures that might help with your other problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
David_e and davidfor, and anyone else who's interested in experimenting, could you please download the following Mobile Read Library book onto your Glo and start using the book as if you were reading it, and then use the home button to exit and go back to the front screen.

Then from the front screen, or from Library, select the book again and see if it comes back at the page you exited from.

A Thousand miles up the Nile

This ebook was formatted by HarryT.

See how you go
Downloaded, sideloaded and started "reading". So far I am up to page 74. I have stopped four times so far and it always reopened at the spot I closed on. How many pages did you go before you had a problem? Also, what font and size and margin and line spacing settings are you using? I am using Georgia, 22 and the minimum for the other two.

I'll keep doing this for a while, but it looks like it is working properly for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Downloaded, sideloaded and started "reading". So far I am up to page 74. I have stopped four times so far and it always reopened at the spot I closed on. How many pages did you go before you had a problem? Also, what font and size and margin and line spacing settings are you using? I am using Georgia, 22 and the minimum for the other two.

I'll keep doing this for a while, but it looks like it is working properly for me.
I'm using Georgia font, and how do you tell what size the font is, or accurately describe the line spacing and margins?

The font size looks about 10ish, and the line spacing is near to 3/4 of the way along the dial.

The margins are about 1/3 along the dial, and Justification is off.

Also did you press a note and successfully get to the note index at the back, and then press back and arrive back at the page you should have?

Thank you for doing this experiment
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh i forgot to add, double bunger names are great for town names but a pain for forum names eh!!!

Lynx was already taken, hence Lynx-Lynx.

But you can call me Lynx
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm using Georgia font, and how do you tell what size the font is, or accurately describe the line spacing and margins?

The font size looks about 10ish, and the line spacing is near to 3/4 of the way along the dial.

The margins are about 1/3 along the dial, and Justification is off.

Also did you press a note and successfully get to the note index at the back, and then press back and arrive back at the page you should have?

Thank you for doing this experiment
You can set it to one extreme or another and press the arrow and count until it gets where you want it to be. Or you can open ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf" and look for the settings. Mine are:

Code:
[Reading]
pageTurningOption=default
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingFontFamily=Georgia
readingFontSize=22
readingFontWeight\Caecilia=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87\xbdu\xc2\x8f)
readingLeftMargin=0
readingLineHeight=1.3
readingRightMargin=0
I can't think what "10ish" will be in the Kobo sizing. Mine is a little smaller than most paperbacks. Line spacing at 3/4 is about 2 (double spaced) and the margin is about 6.

I'll change my settings and see if there is a difference.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
David_e and davidfor, and anyone else who's interested in experimenting, could you please download the following Mobile Read Library book onto your Glo and start using the book as if you were reading it, and then use the home button to exit and go back to the front screen.

Then from the front screen, or from Library, select the book again and see if it comes back at the page you exited from.

A Thousand miles up the Nile
Chapter one starts at page 20, closing it there reopens correctly at page 20. But closing at page 30 reopens at page 28, and closing it at page 40 reopens at page 39. I am using minimum line spacing, margins 4, Georgia font size 32. I didn't load the book with Calibre, just copied it directly to the root directory of the KOBOeReader device. KOBO Glo 2.3.2 (r45813).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Okay thanks, though I'll have to do this in the morning cos I'm reading in bed and using my Playbook to post whilst reading the book under discussion on my Glo.

I'm just over 200 pages in and the wrong page issue has been happening since the beginning.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #23
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Chapter one starts at page 20, closing it there reopens correctly at page 20. But closing at page 30 reopens at page 28, and closing it at page 40 reopens at page 39. I am using minimum line spacing, margins 4, Georgia font size 32. I didn't load the book with Calibre, just copied it directly to the root directory of the KOBOeReader device. KOBO Glo 2.3.2 (r45813).
Thanks Geoff.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

You will be happy to know that I reproduced the problem. And I know why I haven't seen it before.

I have the margins set to zero (all the way left). When I changed them to something else, the problem started. I opened the book I finished earlier in the day, changed the margin settings, and I am consistently opening a page or two earlier than when I closed it.

Someone want to test it and see if I am right?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
You will be happy to know that I reproduced the problem. And I know why I haven't seen it before.

I have the margins set to zero (all the way left). When I changed them to something else, the problem started. I opened the book I finished earlier in the day, changed the margin settings, and I am consistently opening a page or two earlier than when I closed it.

You are right! I just set margins to minimum and it now opens at the the correct page each time.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #26
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:

Yep you've got it in one!!!

I just changed the margin to zero in the Nile book and voila when i exit the book and re-open I get to the right page, and likewise when I go to and come back from a note.

Golly gee - what a simple programming problem/solution that turned out to be..... And what a lot of sweat to get there!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Do you still get the problem if the margins are zero in the Kobo's settings, but > zero in the epub?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Margins and page return oddities

My experience is pretty much the same as davidfor's. Leaving the Kobo's margins at zero, the page return works. Non-zero and it doesn't work. Tried using an epub with internally set wide margins and no issues with returning to a page when the margin slider was at the left. As soon as I moved the slider to the right, page return was, well, interesting.

BTW, anyone else noticing the long paragraphs causing the page breaks in the middle of a paragraph when reading "A Thousand Miles Up The Nile" Right now, I am looking at the third paragraph in Chapter VII and with my normal font settings, I see a break in near the start of the paragraph. If I move the font slider 1 step smaller, the paragraph looks fine.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I'll also add confirmation. I tried 'zero margins' and had the same result. No more moving back a few pages when returning from the home screen. This was in a side loaded book.

The only problem is that I like a little room at the edge of the page.

Hopefully corrected in the next firmware release.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BTW, anyone else noticing the long paragraphs causing the page breaks in the middle of a paragraph when reading "A Thousand Miles Up The Nile" Right now, I am looking at the third paragraph in Chapter VII and with my normal font settings, I see a break in near the start of the paragraph. If I move the font slider 1 step smaller, the paragraph looks fine.
That's a known bug that apparently has been there for a long time. If the paragraph is more than a screen in length at the current font size, it will start at the top of the next screen. It needs to be a few lines more than the screen length and seems to be about 5 lines. I've been wondering if it is actually the sum of the default orphans and widows settings.