Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
My first in store reading experience

Today I took my Nook for the first time to Barnes and Noble and tried out the in store reading. At first I was having some difficulties connecting; instead of letting my Nook detect B&N WiFi automatically, somehow I force connected it to the AT&T hot spots. The B&N customer service guy was pretty knowledgeable; he helped me reconfigure it correctly and walked me through some of the key features.

I got a good spot in the café, while sipping my coffee and nibbling my free Godiva treat, I browsed through a couple of books that got rave reviews and seem very interesting to me. I know the physical copies are probably displayed somewhere on the shelves but it seems much easier to locate and go over them on my nookie screen. There are two books that I really like and will be downloading them shortly. So far I’ve been only downloading free B&N books or reading borrowed library ebooks. The sample download that they offer is normally just the introduction and the first chapter which is not enough for me to evaluate a book; the in store shop allows more in depth reading so I am sure that I am buying what I really want.

Overall, it is a very joyful experience and I stayed there for over 3 hours. Before I left, to support my local brick and mortar neighborhood bookstore, I bought two physical books, the Adobe Illustrator CS3 and a medical guide. These books are probably available in eformat but for reference books, they are better presented to be viewed in their native paper format.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh. I noticed that in the store reading, some of the functions such as the Go to Page and Font adjustment are not working. Do you know if B&N has disabled these functions or there is something that I did wrong?
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Today I took my Nook for the first time to Barnes and Noble and tried out the in store reading. At first I was having some difficulties connecting; instead of letting my Nook detect B&N WiFi automatically, somehow I force connected it to the AT&T hot spots. The B&N customer service guy was pretty knowledgeable; he helped me reconfigure it correctly and walked me through some of the key features.

I got a good spot in the café, while sipping my coffee and nibbling my free Godiva treat, I browsed through a couple of books that got rave reviews and seem very interesting to me. I know the physical copies are probably displayed somewhere on the shelves but it seems much easier to locate and go over them on my nookie screen. There are two books that I really like and will be downloading them shortly. So far I’ve been only downloading free B&N books or reading borrowed library ebooks. The sample download that they offer is normally just the introduction and the first chapter which is not enough for me to evaluate a book; the in store shop allows more in depth reading so I am sure that I am buying what I really want.

Overall, it is a very joyful experience and I stayed there for over 3 hours. Before I left, to support my local brick and mortar neighborhood bookstore, I bought two physical books, the Adobe Illustrator CS3 and a medical guide. These books are probably available in eformat but for reference books, they are better presented to be viewed in their native paper format.
sounds like you had a great time, I also LOVE this aspect of the nook which I think makes this more than just a device like the kindle or others, Great great feature for us bookstore lovers
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Rebo--I haven't tried in store reading yet, but I did read somewhere that the font adjustment and go to page were disabled for instore reading.

I was actually in a BN store yesterday and briefly tried to get my nook to work with in store reading but couldn't. I think your post might have pointed out my problem--I think the nook was going to the AT&T network instead of the BN in store network. I'll check that next time I have a chance to be at a store.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Rebo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I was actually in a BN store yesterday and briefly tried to get my nook to work with in store reading but couldn't. I think your post might have pointed out my problem--I think the nook was going to the AT&T network instead of the BN in store network. I'll check that next time I have a chance to be at a store.

dordale
If you're connected correctly, you'll see a little B&N logo next to the WiFi Signal. Enjoy
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I got a good spot in the café, while sipping my coffee and nibbling my free Godiva treat,....
I recall seeing posts on free Godiva dated 2009 in the official B&N General Nook Discussion forum and thought I missed the boat.

But if this offer is current how do I go about it?

Now to get back on topic ...

I have been spending every Friday, from after work until closing, and then every Saturday afternoon at B&N ever since I got my nook last month.

I too enjoy reading in store, sipping iced tea and my chocolate chunk cookie very much.

Free Friday downloads was a very smart marketing tool. I am surprised I don't see more "Nookers" in the cafe.

But I do get people coming up to me to ask questions about the nook. And I also notice that the Nook kiosk in-store is always crowded with interested parties.

I used to spend my weekends at Borders, but now I just drop in on Sunday afternoons to use my member reward coupons.

Thanks for reading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
Rebo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
I recall seeing posts on free Godiva dated 2009 in the official B&N General Nook Discussion forum and thought I missed the boat.

But if this offer is current how do I go about it?
All I did is show the Cafe the coupon on the screen of the nook. One of the pages of the in store shop screen has the latest coupon.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Alas and alack, my local B&N is directly adjacent to a St*rb*cks, as opposed to an instore St*rb*cks, so I've been unable to get the free coffee and treats.
However, I was able to read a enough of a book to decide to purchase it, and enough of another couple of books to not.
I would have liked some free coffee though, and a comfortable place to sit.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote