Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
What text size do you use?

I'd like to know what text size people use, and with which reader. I don't own a sony yet, and it's a tough decision between the 300 (I would have to use S text size) and 600 (could use M).

Thanks
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
On my 300 I format books in Calibre to 14 point base font. Then read in my 300 on m. Eyes aren't so great, so it works for me. I could read on s, but lighting is the issue. I read on the equivalent s on my iphone, because it is backlit and easier to see (better contrast).
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
I read on a PRS-300 set to 'S'.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I usually use s for books and m when I'm reading some pdfs
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
For epubs -- I use "S" for for Calibre or Feedbooks-created books, S, M, or L for commercial ebooks (depending on the base font size, which varies). Frequently pop up a size when tired or when the light is low (e.g. on the bus at night).

PDFS on "M" which is the smaller reflow size.

For LRFs, I've found much of the time that even the "S" size is bigger than I prefer.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
I put my ePub's through Calibre with a 14pt font and read on Small with my PRS-300. Seems a good fit for me.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Ladylynn
Shoulda known better...
Ladylynn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It never occurred to me to change the font size in Calibre -- I'll have to try that.

For me, it depends on the lighting situation I'm in. If I've got a lot of light, I can read on my 600 in the S size. If the lighting's not bright (a lamp or similar), I up the font to M.
Ladylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I use ePub with the base font at the default size. I use small. But remember, the 505 has a better screen (6" instead of 5").
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks for the input everyone.
The PRS-300 seems like a good fit for me. I wasn't sure if the S font would be too small, but my eyes are good so if it works for other people then I think I should be okay.

cheers
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote