Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Febrary 2010 Book Club Poll
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 26 25.00%
The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler 8 7.69%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 11 10.58%
Shadow Game by Christine Feehan 9 8.65%
It Happened In Egypt by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933) 4 3.85%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 17 16.35%
His Robot Girlfriend by Wesley Allison (HistoryWes) 12 11.54%
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne 7 6.73%
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase 6 5.77%
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #76
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I've just watched a lovely movie for the second time - and realised it was the most delightful 'romance' story - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I's not a serious story, but because it's told seriously, it works.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #77
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've just watched a lovely movie for the second time - and realised it was the most delightful 'romance' story - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I's not a serious story, but because it's told seriously, it works.
I need to watch that. Anything with Colin Firth is a win.

*sigh*
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #78
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Made a start on GWTW - well I downloaded it, that has to be a start.

Thank God I don't have to pay for it as it is not under copyright here in Oz and I can get it from Gutenberg. Might start reading it before the poll is over. Who knows, it might somehow, surprisingly jump up on my TBR list.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Made a start on GWTW - well I downloaded it, that has to be a start.

Thank God I don't have to pay for it as it is not under copyright here in Oz and I can get it from Gutenberg. Might start reading it before the poll is over. Who knows, it might somehow, surprisingly jump up on my TBR list.
I almost did that, but have to fork over a few $ so not quite yet....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #80
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Can I get a free version on my new Kindle arriving Monday?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Can I get a free version on my new Kindle arriving Monday?
Of Gone with the Wind? In Aus you can get it for free:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200161h.html

I think in the US you would have to buy it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #82
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Ummm, yes, you would.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #83
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Do I dare hope? 2 days left, surely we can russle up a few more voters for the second runner up???
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #84
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Great movie. I've been bugging Amazon about releasing the book by Winifred Watson.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #85
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I need to watch that. Anything with Colin Firth is a win.

*sigh*
It's a great movie but I don't think Colin Firth is in it. Lee Pace and Ciaran Hinds are the male leads. But I'll watch anything with Amy Adams in it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #86
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It's a great movie but I don't think Colin Firth is in it. Lee Pace and Ciaran Hinds are the male leads. But I'll watch anything with Amy Adams in it.
You're right, I wonder what movie I was confusing it with.

But Lee Pace ranks up there with Colin Firth for me. So bummed they cancelled "Pushing Daisies."
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #87
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Frances McDormand is a wonderful actress. Her performance in Fargo is unforgettable. She was quite good in Burn After Reading, which I watched on the small screen last night.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #88
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
There's Weird Science... but that was 1985.

BOb
I believe the movie was Cherry 2000 with Melanie Griffith. In the movie the main male character has a robot girlfriend with the title name. She shorts out and he hires Griffith's character to help him find a replacement one. IMHO, a very well done if slightlly off the wall little movie.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #89
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

BOb
There's a simple way to remember which books are still under copyright protection in the United States. Simply ask of the work in question, "Is it newer than The Code of Hammurabi?" If the answer is "yes," chances are it's not yet in the public domain.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #90
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
There's a simple way to remember which books are still under copyright protection in the United States. Simply ask of the work in question, "Is it newer than The Code of Hammurabi?" If the answer is "yes," chances are it's not yet in the public domain.