Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Questions on Sony Book Readers

Hi,

This is my first time posting here.

I really want a book reader, but am having a hard time deciding on which one.

I'm interested in the Sony pocket editon. The one thing stopping me from buying it is the price of the sony books. Are there any other places to buy books for the Sony readers that have comparable prices to kindle books?

I was just about to go ahead and buy the kindle until I had seen they are planning on putting advertisements on the kindle and that killed it for me.

I prefer the Sony one over the kindle but the book prices are killing it. Most books I was comparing were $2-3 more in the sony store. I even found some as much as $9 more than kindle.

Also does the sony work with regular adobe or does it work with a special adobe software?

I see Toshiba and Asus are both coming out with book readers and wonder if I should wait to see what they have.

Thanks so much,
Jeanette
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You can buy books for your Sony at BooksOnBoard.com, diesel-ebooks.com and the rumor is the Barnes & Nobel is going to start selling eBooks in ePub... however, the DRM might not be the Adobe DRM that the Sony supports but eReader DRM. So, we have to wait that one out.

That said, there are thousands of free ebooks out there... both in Public Domain and offered by various publishers... there are usually 5 or so free ebooks you can get each month.

Also, the Sony reader will support d/ling from libraries. If you have to live in an area that has or partners with a library that supports ebooks from Overdrive you can borrow them to read on your Sony.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Bob!

Does it support adob 9 or some other kind of adobe software.

Also do you need a light to read at night. I've never seen a book reader in person or does it light up?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
Thanks Bob!

Does it support adob 9 or some other kind of adobe software.

Also do you need a light to read at night. I've never seen a book reader in person or does it light up?
Adobe has software called Digital Editions which supports reading both PDF and ePub formats both protected by Adobe Adept DRM and unprotected. Sony has a mobile version of this software on the reader... so you can authorize you reader to your Adobe ID and be able to read the Adobe Adept protected DRMed PDF and ePub ebooks. (ePub is usually the better choice for fiction.)

You can d/l digital editions for free from Adobe's web site. I'm sure if you google it you will find it. Make sure you create an Adobe ID and authorize your computer with it before you buy any ebooks that you want to read on your Sony.

No, there is no light. You need a reading light for your reader just as you would when reading a paper book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
laughingdragons
Groupie

Thanks for the reply!

I looked at best buy online and they say they have them at one of them so I'm going to go check it out and see if I like it.

Thanks again!
Advert