Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Turned it off - it takes 25 seconds to be turn on again, so...
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I fly every week from Florida to Maryland and I will generally leave it on. I've had flight attendants look over my shoulder and once or twice they will kindly ask me to turn it off. Most of the time they are interested and I try to explain how it uses very little power when it's not turning pages.

Most airlines now let you leave on noise-canceling headphones, which to me use just as much or more power than the Reader.

The rules about turning off devices that might have some sort of EMF interference are good and if I felt that the Reader would contribute to that problem I would certainly make sure and turn it off completely.

Plus, half the time I'm asleep before the plane takes off!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I asked the Mrs what she does with her Kindle, she flies quite a bit and she says she has never turned it off while taking off nor landing, nor has anyone asked her to. She tends to fly NW airlines the most.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
While I sympathize with people who don't want to be interrupted in their reading and we all feel sure that the readers with e-Ink screens won't cause any problem in "sleep" mode instead of shut down, the rules do not make exceptions. On tonight's flight, the flight attendants not only made people turn off their noise-canceling headphones, but they made everyone remove the headsets, ear buds, etc. -- so they could hear the safety announcements.

The regulation applies to between 14,000 feet and the ground. At take-off, there's a "bing" when the plane goes above 14,000 feet -- that's the signal to the flight attendant that he or she can make the announcement about it now being safe to turn on approved devices. Since they are sometimes busy, I have sometimes opened up my reader -- or even my laptop -- soon after I hear the bing, even if they haven't made the verbal announcement. For landing, it's more difficult to know exactly when you descend lower than 14,000 feet, so just obey the instructions of the flight attendant.

It's a minor inconvenience to shut down the reader for take-off and landing. If you really cannot sit quietly without something to distract you, take a paper book as well as your reader. If you enjoy short fiction, a collection of short stories would allow you to finish a story before you return to whatever you're reading on your electronic device. Or how about a puzzle book (sudoku anyone?) or comics? As others have mentioned, this is a good time to peruse the airline magazine -- unless you fly so frequently that you've already read it 3 times.

An electronic book reader is a blessing for travel -- you have plenty to read with negligible weight.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #20
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
I leave my prs 500 on unless I am asked to turn it off. I think the severity of doing so is about as dangerous as leaving a hearing aid on. Wake up up doom and gloomers a e-book without wireless capabilities is not a threat to flight stability or national security.

Elad
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

P.S. Many new cell phones have an 'airline' mode now. It turns off the tranmitting and receiving functions of the phone but guess what? The screen stays active.

Cell phone airline mode=Safe

Cell phone (airline mode) = e-reader(always).

Elad
Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
P.S. Many new cell phones have an 'airline' mode now. It turns off the tranmitting and receiving functions of the phone but guess what? The screen stays active.

Cell phone airline mode=Safe

Cell phone (airline mode) = e-reader(always).

Elad
Even with Airline mode on... you are not allowed to use any electronic device during takeoff and landing. Airline mode or not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Even with Airline mode on... you are not allowed to use any electronic device during takeoff and landing. Airline mode or not.

BOb
That's not entirely true. When I look at the information available from Southwest Airlines on their reading material in the plane (and confirmed by the flight attendants), there are some devices that are allowed to be left on, such as noise-canceling head phones. They also don't/can't make sure that everyone's blue tooth headsets are turned off, though I think that poses more of a threat than a Reader ever could because of the radio in the device.

I even asked a flight attendant who basically told me that she's never stopped anyone from using an electronic reader or a booklight during takeoff.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #24
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I even asked a flight attendant who basically told me that she's never stopped anyone from using an electronic reader or a booklight during takeoff.
So, with a few posts in the answer is - its divided. There are those that do and will keep them on and those that feel it should be shut off (and a few with a handel that suggest that have a vested interest in the shutting off of a book).

I guess when I fly to my holday in a couple of weeks, I will be turning off during take off and landing. Not becuase I feel there is a frozen moggies chance in hell that they will effect the plane, but becuase I dont want to have to be asked to.

As I say, it would be a lot easier if devices came with a mark to say 'plane proof' that you could show to the staff.
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
That's not entirely true. When I look at the information available from Southwest Airlines on their reading material in the plane (and confirmed by the flight attendants), there are some devices that are allowed to be left on, such as noise-canceling head phones.
That is very strange. In all my recent flight they have been quick to tell people that they cannot use headphones during takeoff. I always thought this was so you could hear security announcements. The document regulating this is:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/b5c85ae8e38df676862571da00529da4/$FILE/AC%2091.21-1B.pdf

And it says for example about Portable Electronic Devices:
Quote:
Prohibiting the operation of any PEDs during the takeoff and landing phases of flight. It must be recognized that the potential for personal injury to passengers is a paramount consideration, as well as is the possibility of missing significant safety announcements during important phases of flight. This prohibition is in addition to lessening the possible interference that may arise during sterile cockpit operations (below 10,000 feet).
Also http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-k...Celphones.html had an interesting comment:
Quote:
The FAA regulation that covers this topic is Advisory Circular 91.21-1B. Agency spokesman Les Dorr says that “while an Advisory Circular is not mandatory, in practice all airlines and other operators adhere to its provisions. Airlines generally consider the ‘prohibited’ period to begin when the cabin door closes for pushback.” One big reason is lawyers. The FAA’s regulation makes the airlines responsible for governing the use of portable electronic devices on their airplanes, ensuring that carriers err on the side of non-litigious caution.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Shoulda known it'd come down to the lawyers eventually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #27
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I've been flying a bunch lately between Sacramento and Los Angeles, and I've once been asked to turn off the Reader during takeoff. In the past, I've probably been asked 3 or 4 times to turn it off when taking off or landing. When that happens, I turn it off. Otherwise, I'll use it just like I would a paperback or magazine. The main thing I would recommend is just make sure you comply with the flight attendants if they ask you to turn it off. They are the law on the plane.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #28
Hughdal
Connoisseur

I've made my decision. I'm going to leave my reader on and walk to LAX. Think of the benefits, exercise, lot's of reading time and no one telling me what to do.

Hughdal
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Now will you please answer this new question...

What do you do when your Reading Snakes on a Plane on a Plane?

Thanks,
BOb

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #30
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I ... put it in the seat back in front of me.
BOb
Caution: 2 people in another thread said that the seat back pocket put enough pressure to CRACK their screen. (I forget which device). I don't think I'll take the chance; I'll put it to sleep and just hold it, next time I fly.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote