Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Kindle to Israel, WIFI or WIFI+3G?

Hi everyone,

I live in Israel, and I will be in the US in a few days.
I wish to purchase a kindle, but not sure which is right for me, WIFI or WIFI+3G.
If I buy the WIFI+3G, will I be able to use the 3G in Israel?
Will I pay for the 3G when using it in Israel?

Thanks in advance!
Asaf
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Whispernet coverage map says you get free 3G access in Israel. No idea if you get web access though. That seems to be restricted in certain locations to the Kindle store and Wikipedia.

The Kindle 3 from the US store has the same coverage map.

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-30-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thank you.
Is 3G access always free? Is there someplace or some action I do that can cost me?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
Thank you.
Is 3G access always free? Is there someplace or some action I do that can cost me?
It is free except if you send personal documents to be converted and delivered via 3G. Those are charged based on size of the file that is delivered. You can avoid the charges by delivering via WiFi or transferring manually via USB.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
shemsha
Connoisseur

Thank you very much!
In the meantime I saw that Amazon only ship the WIFI version to Israel.
I will be in the US so I guess I can get the WIFI+3G, but maybe I'll just stick to what is sent to Israel.
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
If you're at home with WiFi, the WiFi version is fine.

I bought the 3G because it isn't a whole lot extra and I travel. The 3G works for the web browser too, so it's useful if you ever need to look something up quickly.

If you're a traveler, the Kindle is one of the best things you can have with you.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
shemsha
Connoisseur

Thanks, I can't say I get to travel a lot so I guess the WIFI version will do.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
che_guevara
che_guevara began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have the same question and I didn't get the answer so far. Is it possible for Kindle 3G to browse the web and read personal emails if I leave in Israel ? Hope to pick it as a present for my Mom.

Thanks a Lot for any help.
che_guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
che_guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It is free except if you send personal documents to be converted and delivered via 3G. Those are charged based on size of the file that is delivered. You can avoid the charges by delivering via WiFi or transferring manually via USB.
Please explain something I didn't get from your reply and forgive me for not getting it. How personal document different from not personal ? Do You mean that I can read emails but not send or receive an attachments while in Israel ?

Thank you very much
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I live in Israel and my Kindle is WiFi because this is the one that Amazon ships here. I have a friend who got his WiFi+3G in the UK and the 3G does not work in Israel. It isn't a matter of 3G coverage, which we have but the fact that for 3G in Israel you need an Israeli sim card and there is no place to put one in the Kindle 3. At least that's how my friend explained. Does anyone know differently?
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Might help:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec.../Complete_List
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Even if that is the case, if you want the 3G model and are planning on traveling, I would get the 3G model since it will work outside of Israel.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by che_guevara View Post
Please explain something I didn't get from your reply and forgive me for not getting it. How personal document different from not personal ? Do You mean that I can read emails but not send or receive an attachments while in Israel ?

Thank you very much
Personal document: Any file sent to your @kindle.com address
'Not personal': A book bought from the Amazon Kindle Store.

The 'free 3G' is really only intended to be used for buying books from Amazon.
That they allow other uses via the browser in some countries is supposed be considered an 'experimental' bonus feature.

When you are in a spot where the browser DOES work, be it wifi or 3g, you can currently download books and documents in the correct format directly from non-Amazon websites at no charge.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
che_guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
I live in Israel and my Kindle is WiFi because this is the one that Amazon ships here. I have a friend who got his WiFi+3G in the UK and the 3G does not work in Israel. It isn't a matter of 3G coverage, which we have but the fact that for 3G in Israel you need an Israeli sim card and there is no place to put one in the Kindle 3. At least that's how my friend explained. Does anyone know differently?
According to amazon's description of coverage for Kindle 3G, Israel is very well covered by 3G or EDGE Network

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

But Amazon is covering some roaming charges for Your friend, so if he lives there all the time , happily, with His Kindle ) , amazon, probably just puts a cap on how much Money they are willing to spend on each customer... Not sure about it , but it complies with my common sense.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
che_guevara

Ok , only to purchase books from amazon ... No gmail , no youtube no nothing. Yes I know it isn't tablet PC just wont to know in advance.

That makes sense, but they are talking about some "New WebKit Based Browser for 3G" and Wikipepia lookups. It is listed in the description

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ1Y72

Thanks for your responses.

I'm now so curious that I'm actually getting 3G model to give it a try. The other reason I'm willing to risk is because my mom wants it in white color and it is only available for 3G models. Even if 3G is really nothing useful I'll pay some extra 70$ for color )

Last edited by che_guevara; 05-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.