Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #31
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
The fact is they did not show the three modes.
At no moment did they tell us clearly: here is mode 1, now is mode 2, now is mode 3.
I think they are either not very good at precisely demonstrating their interesting new screen, or they do not want to show the darkest mode, because their screen may then appear as too dark compared to the Kindle; the risk would be that it could be labeled as the "dark crap".
So when do we get a clear demo of the three modes? Because I may want one in my next laptop, especially if the e-reader mode is clear enough. But even if that mode is too dark, the fact that this screen is very readable under the sun is a great advantage over my current laptop, which is totally unreadable outdoors, and prevents me from watching movies in a garden for example, a thing I found very frustrating the first time, and which led me to use it less.
Very true. From what I've seen in their videos there is a color mode and their no backlight (eReader) mode but I can't seem to quite figure out what the third mode is besides dimming the backlight in color mode which would be similar to what you could do with a laptop now, a clear video displaying the three modes would be helpful. They had me at the eReader mode but it'd be nice to get a clear indication of the full functionality of the screens.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Very true. From what I've seen in their videos there is a color mode and their no backlight (eReader) mode but I can't seem to quite figure out what the third mode is besides dimming the backlight in color mode which would be similar to what you could do with a laptop now, a clear video displaying the three modes would be helpful. They had me at the eReader mode but it'd be nice to get a clear indication of the full functionality of the screens.
It may be that the third mode is really present all of the time to some degree. If you study the human eye characteristics the eye is much more sensitive to large areas of color than small. You can take advantage of this in a sub-pixel mode by ignoring the fact that the pixels are in color and use them to define outline. This is what Microsoft does with its cleartype technology to provide well defined edges on text characters.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #33
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Perhaps even MID's and cellphones could benefit from it as well!
Like this one?

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
This is mostly speculation, but I suspect the third mode is a combination of a dimmer backlight and reflected light. That's why it's referred to as "transflective" (transmitted + reflective). The combination of the two is what current laptops are unable to do.

The dimmed backlight provides the color and the reflected light makes up for the brightness.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #35
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Like this one?

Love that one! It's like a Barbie Mac!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #36
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This is mostly speculation, but I suspect the third mode is a combination of a dimmer backlight and reflected light. That's why it's referred to as "transflective" (transmitted + reflective). The combination of the two is what current laptops are unable to do.

The dimmed backlight provides the color and the reflected light makes up for the brightness.
So Mode 1 is Color, Back light LCD

Mode 2 is Color, Slightly backlight, but readable in Sun with Color LCD. this currently does not exist to any major degree. is this different from mode one, or is it just the ability to see a color screen in full sun?

Mode 3 is LOW power, no backlight, and colors get washed out by the sun, in the videos, only blue(and black) shows thought in full sun with the back light off.

correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #37
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

like mentioned about 4 times on the forum:

All 3 modes are color, and are essentially one setting. The only difference that the backlight is on (with levels of intensity) or off.

Due to LCD's properties, the higher the intensity of the ambient light VS backlight, the more the colors will be suppressed (and display as some form of grey or black).

PQi might want to try creating a transparent plastic bezel around the screen, (or transparent back) that could focus more ambient light on the internal screen... Just but an idea to experiment with...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
So Mode 1 is Color, Back light LCD

Mode 2 is Color, Slightly backlight, but readable in Sun with Color LCD. this currently does not exist to any major degree. is this different from mode one, or is it just the ability to see a color screen in full sun?

Mode 3 is LOW power, no backlight, and colors get washed out by the sun, in the videos, only blue(and black) shows thought in full sun with the back light off.
Sounds right to me, but we're all basically just guessing.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
like mentioned about 4 times on the forum:
Lots of people have speculated as to what the modes really are. If you have definitive sources for your information, please post them. I'd love to read something that specifically describes how their technology works and what the modes are. As far as I know, nobody has really seen that though, and we're all just taking educated guesses as to what they're really doing.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #40
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
I'd love to read something that specifically describes how their technology works and what the modes are.
You might find this page helpful :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Display
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #41
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
You might find this page helpful :
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Display
Thanks. That's talking about the previous generation, not the 3Qi screen, but it seems to fit pretty well with what we're speculating.

The two sources of light are the backlight and reflected light. In a compltely dark room you'd have the backlight on full and no reflected light. In total sunlight you'd have the backlight off and use reflected light. In between conditions could use a combination of both.

That basically jives with what we've said the 3 modes are as far as the light source.

(1) Backlight on
(2) Transflective, which is a combination of a dimmer backlight and reflected light
(3) Reflected light only, with the backlight off.

As far as color vs B&W, the link about the XO screen does specifically say that color comes from the backlight as it passes through a filter and that the reflected light only gives monochrome. The dimmer the backlight (or the more directly sunlight it's competing with), the more "washed out" the colors will be. With the backlight turned off it's monochrome.

However, I don't know if that is 100% accurate for the 3Qi screen as well, or if they have changed it.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #42
ProDigit
Karmaniac

The base of PQi's screens are LCD screens, just a bit more optimized.
(thinner screen,some plastic layers removed), but the very essence is still an LCD screen.
They optimized the polarization filters to not have that 'green-grey-ish' look normal LCD's have.
They reduced the thickness of the LCD by a small margin,
they used a reflective background, be it reflector type or just a plain white plastic I don't know.
Probably use LED backlight too.

If they did not, I assure you you could make a screen like this yourself at home, and have about the same effect (provided if you know how to remove and paste some polarization filters on the LCD, which can be tricky because pasting always leaves bubbles like a sticker does unless you have some device to paste them without bubbles).
Also, I have not yet seen the right polarization filter. they sell some filters on http://www.polarization.com/ but I have not yet seen completely transparent ones.
Most of them are light grey at best.

If you would be able to do that, you would end up with a screen probably not as efficient as PQi's in contrast, but you will have the same battery benefit.
On some laptops you can use the original pol filters, you just need some reflective background.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
They reduced the thickness of the LCD by a small margin,
they used a reflective background, be it reflector type or just a plain white plastic I don't know.
Probably use LED backlight too.
What I got out of the article describing the XO screen, is that the reflective layer is more like a "one way mirror" than solid white plastic.

Their description is that it has 4 layers. From back to front:

LED backlight -> color filter -> reflective layer -> LCD

So, light transmitted from the backlight goes through the color filters and then passes through the reflective layer. Light coming in from the front hits the reflective layer (without getting to the color filter) and then bounces back out the front.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Their description is that it has 4 layers. From back to front:

LED backlight -> color filter -> reflective layer -> LCD
NB The "color filter" isn't really a filter, it's more a complicated prism - it splits the backlight into bands of colours rather than filtering it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #45
Shaggy
Wizard

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just parroting the terminology from the article.