Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why did you Added the Audible App anyway? Audibooks from Audible.com are under Audiobooks Other Adiobooks go under Music No Apps Neede & No they OFF when you turn the books/music off. No Forced Off needed! You folks need to learn the HD Before you go adding unnessay space wasting apps.
Sorry, but Audible is on the KFHD when it arrives to you. Never added, never would.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #32
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My GSam Battery Monitor shows that GSam Monitor uses 0.7% of battery energy and Audible uses 0.2% of battery energy. They are NOT what is causing your problem.

My System, Kernel and Appstore use 18% while the Screen uses 50%. WiFi uses 9%. Amazon MP3 uses 4%.

Use GSam to identify what IS your problem.

Even WiFi is not really a big problem. On my KFHD7-32 I get 7 hours of use with WiFi off and 5.5 hours of use with WiFi on. On my PW I get 12 hours with WiFi off and 10 hours with WiFi on. When WiFi is off, I still turn it on for syncing for a moment.

Since WiFi use is really very low, I'm leaving it on all the time now with occasional turning it off in the night when I sleep if I remember it.

If you use G3, then it will be a large battery hog. That will require a different strategy. Even there if you just charge every night, you won't notice any problems.

If you leave WiFi on all the time and Amazon does a firmware upgrade, there will be a large drain since it has to reboot after the upgrade.

I have a hunch your Screen Dim is the culprit. The KFHD7-32 has an AutoBrightness feature which uses almost no power and uses the camera lens to adjust brightness automatically to the amient light. Screen Dim is unnecessary with the KFHD7-32 while may have some use on the KF1G which does not have the AutoBrightness feature.

ScreenDim is necessary! If you use it in the dark you must have if you don't want to burn your eyes. KFHD has autobrightness.

All I know is the results I have after force closing audible. I don't use Gsam anymore. HD battery works fine for me. Thanks anyway. I am quite happy with my results.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #33
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
You can disable autobrightness on the KFHD. I usually leave my brightness around 30% unless I am in a well lit area or watching a dark movie.

That said, I think the lowest brightness setting is still way to bright for reading in the dark....I much prefer my PaperWhite for that.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #34
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
GSam versus HD Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
All I know is the results I have after force closing audible. I don't use Gsam anymore. HD battery works fine for me. Thanks anyway. I am quite happy with my results.
Does HD battery show battery energy percentage use like GSam? If it does, it would be interesting to have both apps installed and see what each says GSam and HD battery use.

I wonder if they would show the same percentages.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #35
new

Quote:
Does HD battery show battery energy percentage use like GSam? If it does, it would be interesting to have both apps installed and see what each says GSam and HD battery use.

I wonder if they would show the same percentages.
I think Blossom said this once (but don't quote me) it is not rocket science. But anyway the numbers don't matter I don't think it is accurate. I only know by my results. I use the Advanced Task Killer and kill those apps I don't need. My battery life only loses 1% or so over night if I don't use it. If I use it I don't use much.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a hunch your Screen Dim is the culprit. The KFHD7-32 has an AutoBrightness feature which uses almost no power and uses the camera lens to adjust brightness automatically to the amient light. Screen Dim is unnecessary with the KFHD7-32 while may have some use on the KF1G which does not have the AutoBrightness feature.
In theory, ScreenDim's upper slider should use no power at all (well, except for the little bit of memory that is being used)--it should save batteries, in fact. So if the lower slider is set to 100%, no battery usage should occur.

The lower slider will use some power whenever things are drawn on the screen, but on well-designed devices with hardware acceleration, this should be very little. And it shouldn't use batteries when the screen display isn't changing.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
You might try running a battery test. My first Fire 8.9 did very strange battery things. It routinely shut down due to low battery while showing between 20% and 40% charge. I turned wifi off and played a previously downloaded video continuously and couldn't get more than about 5 hours on a full charge. Customer service confirmed I should be getting better battery life.

I exchanged it and the new unit has no battery quirks. It can play video with wifi off for more than 8 hours. It actually drains all the way down - no low battery shut offs while showing high percentages.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
You might try running a battery test. My first Fire 8.9 did very strange battery things. It routinely shut down due to low battery while showing between 20% and 40% charge. I turned wifi off and played a previously downloaded video continuously and couldn't get more than about 5 hours on a full charge. Customer service confirmed I should be getting better battery life.

I exchanged it and the new unit has no battery quirks. It can play video with wifi off for more than 8 hours. It actually drains all the way down - no low battery shut offs while showing high percentages.
Thanks for that info. The batter went down to 34% and I was only reading an ebook for a few hours each night! No wifi, no other running apps, all forced closed.

It is over 30 days, probably 60 by now or more. Not sure what I can do now. Mine is the 7" version, but still the battery is very unpredictable!!

What kind of battery test? I have switched off between HD battery and paid Gsam versions because my battery was acting flakey, thought it was each app. Guess not.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
In theory, ScreenDim's upper slider should use no power at all (well, except for the little bit of memory that is being used)--it should save batteries, in fact. So if the lower slider is set to 100%, no battery usage should occur.

The lower slider will use some power whenever things are drawn on the screen, but on well-designed devices with hardware acceleration, this should be very little. And it shouldn't use batteries when the screen display isn't changing.
Yeah I was reading screen dims faq, it does say on older units this could be an issue. But the newer KFHD shouldn't be affected by this should it?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #40
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Did you ever try running the battery down to ZERO and then doing an overnight, full charge? That would calibrate the bettery meter and turn on the chemicals in the Lithium battery fully.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
new

Quote:

I chatted with Amazon today, and told them the battery problem. They are sending me a new one. So I hope my new one does not act quirky too. They said I should be getting much better battery life. Mine would be good some days, and then some days it was dead. Just from reading a book!

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I get to reset the old one and start over on a new one. and pack up the old one and ship back. It will be worth it if my new battery is good.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it's working out for you. I bet your new one will be must better. As far as testing - I tried to mimic a test from an endgadget review.

"When it comes to battery life Amazon says you can expect 11 hours of normal usage, and in our typical battery rundown test (with a looping video, WiFi on and the display set to a fixed brightness) we scored about an hour short of that."

Full review:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/a...review-7-inch/

I don't think they are streaming video, and they don't say what "fixed brightness" they used.

I have some purchased videos in the Amazon Video on Demand store. I downloaded the longest one to my fire HD. Once fully charged I set the brightness to the middle (this was arbitrary on my part) and I started playing the downloaded video - any time I thought about it I restarted at the beginning (my poor man's looped video.) With my replacement my play time was in the right ballpark for the 9" version - the same endgaget test yielded ~9 hours for the 9". My the one I replaced couldn't make it past 5 hours.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #43
new

returning KFHD question

Quote:
Glad it's working out for you. I bet your new one will be must better. As far as testing - I tried to mimic a test from an endgadget review.

"When it comes to battery life Amazon says you can expect 11 hours of normal usage, and in our typical battery rundown test (with a looping video, WiFi on and the display set to a fixed brightness) we scored about an hour short of that."

Full review:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/a...review-7-inch/

I don't think they are streaming video, and they don't say what "fixed brightness" they used.

I have some purchased videos in the Amazon Video on Demand store. I downloaded the longest one to my fire HD. Once fully charged I set the brightness to the middle (this was arbitrary on my part) and I started playing the downloaded video - any time I thought about it I restarted at the beginning (my poor man's looped video.) With my replacement my play time was in the right ballpark for the 9" version - the same endgaget test yielded ~9 hours for the 9". My the one I replaced couldn't make it past 5 hours.
I got the "new" Kindle Fire HD today, they said it was new, and not refurbished. I hope so.

Anyway, to return the first one all I do is degister and reset device? All my personal info, wi-fi address should be erased right?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #44
runtmms
Connoisseur

I'm no expert, but I took customer service at their word when they said restoring factory defaults would erase all personal data. You get the same warning when you go to do it, as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #45
new

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I took customer service at their word when they said restoring factory defaults would erase all personal data. You get the same warning when you go to do it, as well.
Thanks runtmms. I searched Amazon help and it never did say what to do. But a youtube video said to deregister and restore factory defaults. I plugged the KFHD in to computer and it is empty except it shows my update I manually did. Which is strange that is not factory defaults.

Does your KFHD lose 1-2% just sitting overnight? Otherwise my new one is much better. I don't have drastic battery drop like I did on the old one. Still need to send back the old one. I never downloaded any Audible files, so maybe that helped. I still think that is a major battery drain.

While on that subject I found when I add my charge card or delete on Amazon it adds/deletes on my AUdible account. Same thing when I delete/add cc on Audible it adds/deletes on Amazon. I have contacted Amazon and Audible on this issue. They both pass the buck. No help. So Amazon will lose business because I don't want my cc on Audible anymore, contract is over. Anyone else have Audible and cancelled contract?