Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: If you routinely experience very long iPad back-up problems, do you...?
Sync through a Mac and have Zinio installed 4 20.00%
Sync through a Mac but don't have Zinio installed 0 0%
Sync through a PC and have Zinio installed 9 45.00%
Sync through a PC but don't have Zinio installed 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Long iPad back-ups and the Zinio App

I had been having horribly long back-up times with my iPad to the point that I routinely cancelled it during sync.

I recently saw a lot of mention of the Zinio app in this context on the web and decided to remove it from the iPad. Problem seems to be fixed. My back-ups are taking less tham a minute now.

Zinio may not be the only app that causes this problem. The problem coulkd be in the iPad OS or the SDK tools setting some back-up flags incorrectly.

So I'm curious to see other's experience with long back-ups
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
I had been having horribly long back-up times with my iPad to the point that I routinely cancelled it during sync.

I recently saw a lot of mention of the Zinio app in this context on the web and decided to remove it from the iPad. Problem seems to be fixed. My back-ups are taking less tham a minute now.

Zinio may not be the only app that causes this problem. The problem coulkd be in the iPad OS or the SDK tools setting some back-up flags incorrectly.

So I'm curious to see other's experience with long back-ups
I've turned off backups entirely. It may have been Zinio, it may have been my 30GB of data in total. Anyway, I've always stopped it manually. In the beginning I've even waited an entire hour - without result.
Don't miss the backup at all, don't see the need for it.
But Apple definitely should give some options, for example only backing up files <1MB. Or only specific formats. Or......
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've turned off backups entirely. It may have been Zinio, it may have been my 30GB of data in total. Anyway, I've always stopped it manually. In the beginning I've even waited an entire hour - without result.
Don't miss the backup at all, don't see the need for it.
But Apple definitely should give some options, for example only backing up files <1MB. Or only specific formats. Or......
I also had stopped backing up but unfortunately, as I found out yesterday, doing a software update (3.2 > 3.2.1) forces a back-up you can't cancel out of

That was my motivation for finally troubleshooting and fixing this.

BTW... I have reported to Zinio. Just waiting to hear from them.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The problem seems to be apps which store a large number of small files.
ComicZeal is another app with the same problem.
The Apple backup process is just excruciatingly slow, far beyond what could be explained by the volume of data.
I only managed to back my iPad up by removing both apps completely. With both installed I left a backup running for over 24 hours and the process finally crashed with about 7.5GB backed up.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
All my apps, photos, movies, podcasts, iBooks, etc are in iTunes. I regularly sync between iTunes and my iPad - syncing is fine and very fast. There's nothing on my iPad I need a backup for that isn't already in iTunes or on media I already have sufficient backups for. I've erased my iPad twice within in the first couple weeks of owning it and all I did was attach it, give it a name and have it sync my iTunes.

Compared to the multi-hour backups it tries to perform daily, I'll add my wpa key if I have to start fresh myself and deal with my own backup methods.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I've just downloaded Zinio and ordered three magazines, no problems downloading and just did connect with ITunes including backup and maybe a little slower but only noticeable since I was looking for that. I don't have any real issues since adding Zinio and I too download podcasts but usual directly through my IPad app, not through iTunes.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
I also had stopped backing up but unfortunately, as I found out yesterday, doing a software update (3.2 > 3.2.1) forces a back-up you can't cancel out of

That was my motivation for finally troubleshooting and fixing this.

BTW... I have reported to Zinio. Just waiting to hear from them.
Was the Backup forced during the update or do you mean that since the update the Backup can not be canceled?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The update forces a backup that gets its own popup progress bar with no cancel unlike a usual synch where you can click the x and cancel it.

Comic Zeal is definitely another program that causes these issues as I don't have anything in Zinio, but Apple seriously need to improve the backup process whether it is by incremental backups, additional options to ignore some stuff in the automatic backups or whatever as being forced to spend several hours to backup data you already have on your computer is just silly and annoying.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
The update forces a backup that gets its own popup progress bar with no cancel unlike a usual synch where you can click the x and cancel it.

Comic Zeal is definitely another program that causes these issues as I don't have anything in Zinio, but Apple seriously need to improve the backup process whether it is by incremental backups, additional options to ignore some stuff in the automatic backups or whatever as being forced to spend several hours to backup data you already have on your computer is just silly and annoying.
I'm using "BackOff". Highly recommendable. It stops all backups entirely. The update didn't make any difference. I still can do backups manually, but personally I don't see the need.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-17-2010 at 11:22 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Fotoman
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm using "BackOff". Highly recommendable. It stops all backups entirely. The update didn't make any difference. I still can do backups manually, but personally I don't see the need.
I didn't know back-off would stop the mandatory OS update backup as well, but even had I known, I would have hesitated to mess with the upgrade... You're a brave man
Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
BackOff is great. I do a manual backup maybe once every two weeks I'll start it while I go to bed and let it charge at the same time.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Fotoman
Groupie

Just got a reply from Zinio. Btw, I've always found their support to be very prompt... kudos to them on that.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting Zinio Customer Support.

We are working to fix this with a future release. I apologize for the inconvenience. You can uncheck Zinio from the applications that are backed up which should resolve the issue until we fix it inside of the app.

Please let me know if I may assist further.

Kind regards,
What do they mean about unchecking Zinio from the applications that are backed up? I didn't know we could do this on a per/app basis.