Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Michele L.M.
Still learning
Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 2G, iLiad 2 [no more]
Page Indicator for the Content Lister

I've been able to add a page indicator for PDF files in the content lister. The last opened page/total number of pages are inserted in brackets. It's an hack and I don't know how much is valuable now that iRex has decided to release the source code for the lister. Anyway, if someone is interested I might do some clean-up and package it for a "release".

/Michele/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iLiad_080904_020617.png
Views:	554
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	16991  
Michele L.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
That's really quite a fancy and needed feature. Even after source code is available, I think this hack is still informative.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
IanHelgesen
IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IanHelgesen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex Iliad
I'd be interested. I've been thinking about hacking up something like this myself.
IanHelgesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd be interested.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Michele L.M.
Still learning
Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 2G, iLiad 2 [no more]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'd be interested.
Have a look at this post.
Michele L.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Thanks a lot Michele for this feature!

BTW, how difficult it is to change the 6-files-per-page limitation in the contentlister to something more useful? (And I don't mean nothing fancy here, just clickable text lines will do).

Thanks again,
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
I have hacked it once to do 10 docs per page (no that complicated), but the layout was not 100% correct. I'll do a decent mod when I have some more time.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Hi Hansel!

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy you just made me!
The 6-files-per-page limitation is the only thing that bothers me when it comes to
actually using the Iliad for research. Some users complain about boot time, but not
one seems to realize the fact that during a battery life's lapse (about 10-12 hours),
one spends much more time browsing/navigating the contentlister than booting the device!

I think this is only evident for those who read journal articles (composed of 5 to 10 pages in average),
who also need to switch between a large number of documents during a day's work.

Please Hansel:
That hack you mention to do 10 docs per page -although not 100% correct, as you say- will do the
trick for me and will also guide me if I need to do some hacking myself. Please, post it as it is!

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #9
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
Hi Hansel! That hack you mention to do 10 docs per page -although not 100% correct, as you say- will do the trick for me and will also guide me if I need to do some hacking myself. Please, post it as it is!
Bonjour Bonaparte,

I don't have it any more... it got lost in further experiments... I'll try to make a decent version soon.
Keep in mind that contenLister is essential program (almost a small operating system). If you install a buggy version, your Iliad might not work at all!

This is not for the faint of hart (you must know how to re-flash)
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Hi Hansel!

I think this is only evident for those who read journal articles (composed of 5 to 10 pages in average),
who also need to switch between a large number of documents during a day's work.
Well, journal articles do add up quickly, yes.. but just having a decent-sized pdf library on your iLiad is also a PitA
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

contentlister and higgs' boson cannot coexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Well, journal articles do add up quickly, yes.. but just having a decent-sized pdf library on your iLiad is also a PitA
I just can't help thinking (as the tiny part of mankind that i am):
"We have a great device, we have come to develop e-ink, a very light mobile device, (not to mention Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism!) and we cannot make it to have more than 6 entries per page in the GD contentlister! I feel really stupid."

Last edited by Napoleon; 12-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #12
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Bonjour Bonaparte,
I don't have it any more... it got lost in further experiments... I'll try to make a decent version soon.
No decent version soon: my Iliad just broke (Hangs while booting, scrambled display). I didn't even change anything... reflash (just to be sure) goes o.k. but doesn't help. Last thing I did was just reading...

I'm sad. I'll contact Irex support
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
No decent version soon: my Iliad just broke (Hangs while booting, scrambled display). I didn't even change anything... reflash (just to be sure) goes o.k. but doesn't help. Last thing I did was just reading...

I'm sad. I'll contact Irex support
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can get it fixed soon and painlessly .
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #14
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Sorry to hear that, Hansel.
I really hope everything turns out well.
Keep us posted about the repair service!

A+
Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #15
hansel
JSR FFD2

Smile

Quote:
Keep us posted about the repair service!
I'm happy again! (without singing in the rain)

I submitted a support ticket on the Irex site (with detailed description and pictures) and got a response form Irex within 24h. Diagnose was a lose connector (Wacom tablet). They offered to send a tranport box the same day so that the repair could be handled befor Christmas! Great service! Thanks Tom!

I decided to try to open the Iliad myself (despite potential warranty problems), but went to my brother in law: an expericenced electronic engineer with the experience, tools and patience to handle small devices. We reconnected the lose connector and everything is working. Thanks Alex!