Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-07-2023, 03:26 AM   #1
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
E-reader with Chinese TTS support and Bluetooth. Choices?

Hi y'all,

It's been a long time since I've been to the forums, but I've always found it a great place for info and advice. Please help now.

My wife has said she might like an e-reader. Relevant info below:
  • She has vision problems so a screen of 7 inches or more is preferred, but will consider 6-inch
  • She consumes mostly Chinese-language .docx and .txt files
  • She needs text-to-speech capability that can read Chinese (Mandarin)
  • She would like to be able to connect headphones using Bluetooth.

I have a Kobo Libra H20 which works well for my needs. She said the screen is nice, but it is missing crucial factors. She's been looking online a bit for possible ereaders but it's a bit difficult to get good info.

Because of her vision limitations, she can't spend a lot of time trying to maintain the thing. And I'd prefer not to have to, so we want something that doesn't require constant tweaking to keep running.

We're in Canada, so a company with a presence in Canada would be nice but not 100% necessary.

Not on a tight budget. Would prefer not to spend a ton, but we're flexible.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I know some of you will have some great ideas.

Bill
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:01 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The TTS requirement probably limits you to Boox and other Android devices. You'd probably want to look at the Nova (7.8") and Note (10.3") product lines.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would have to agree with @Aleron Ives but would add the Meebook devices (used to be Boyue if I recall correctly).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My Boyue Likebook Mars does have BT, Android and 3.5mm jack. Meebook does seem to be what was Boyue. But TTS of pocketbook doesn't work, nor voice view. The compatibility of eink Android isn't matching actual Android phones & tablets where I have TTS & Voice view working on Android 5 to 11. Pocketbook and many other Android do work on the Mars apart from Google's Speech Engine. No Solitaire I've tried works, but K9 mail, lichess and Musicolet (music & audio books) do work.

Really a phone is better for music, audiobook and TTS and battery life can be good if the app can run in sleep mode/screen off.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-07-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth, chinese, epaper, tts