Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Bulk metadata download

In calibre I can either go into the edit metadata screen for a book and download metadata & covers in there - I can then do nothing else with calibre for a period of time while it searches.
Alternatively I can bulk download metadata, but then I get no chance to eyeball it (unless I've missed something), which risks getting the wrong book matched.

Is it possible, and if not could i request/suggest am enhancement to allow:

1) Non-modal edit metadata screens so that you can edit the data for multiple books concurrently.
OR
2) A change to the metadata download tool that performs the search in the background, but then gives you the opportunity to review the data downloaded and apply it or not.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tony
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A single metadata download has to happen in two stages, the first stage identify and then the second stage download the covers based on the identify results. On my, rather slow internet connection, neither stage takes more than four seconds. I dont think making it background-able is useful given that you would have to be switching contexts every few seconds. You will find the cognitive overhead will swamp any efficiency gains.

As for bulk download and then review, I can see how that might be useful, but it isn't worth the effort, to me at least, but, patches are welcome.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Thankyou for the swift response.

After reading that yours worked in 4 secs, I looked into configuring my metadata download and experimented with the providers I had selected.

Removing ISBNDB took my download time for the first stage from ~30 secs to around 3 secs which is MUCH better.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote