Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
dieselnutjob
dieselnutjob began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro+
newbie UK user - how to use USA stores?

I've ordered my PRS505s, and hopefully it'll arrive fairly soon.
I know very little about DRM and all that though... and I have some questions.

Reading around here it seems that UK users are offered waterstones, which is expensive and has a poor choice. Also I hear that if I install the software that comes in the box with a UK 505, then I'll be stuck with that.

Is there any reason not install the US software from ebookstore.sony.com from day 1 ?
I understand that I won't be able to use a British credit card and so I'll be buying vouchers from people here, but that doesn't seem so bad.

Will it work with a UK spec 505 ?

Also I understand that I can install the sony software in a VMWare instance, provided that I don't use it to update the device. Is that right? I'm normally a Debian Linux user so can I boot Windows only when I want to update the device, with no license keys or anything, and then use a virtualised instance to buy books?

thanks for any advice.
dieselnutjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Many UK users also buy from US stores that sell Adobe DRMed ePub/PDF books. I think BooksOnBoard is the big one that is stocking this stuff. Fictionwise also has Adobe PDF files but they aren't adding any I belive.

But yes, the bottom line is, if you install the US version you won't loosing out on anything. You can still buy from Waterstone directly from the website if you want and read the books just fine on your reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
As BOb says, many of us in the UK use Sony's US store.

I did this by downloading the software from their us site. The library software is the same, but it connects you to their us store instead of waterstones. You can use waterstones' website but you can only download books from the sony connect store if you have the us software installed.

I haven't bought anything from the us store, but I have downloaded free books from them. I understand that you need gift cards to buy from them, but I haven't got that far yet. I have bought from Books on Board though, with no problems, and their prices seem better than in the UK. For BoB, my location is set as US and I use my paypal account, and I've had no problems.

There are also other UK sites - WHSmith also sells ebooks and I think there are others, but to be honest I only got my reader in April, and I've only bought a few books so far because I've been able to download so many for free.

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please ask. Sorry, your installation question about VMWare etc was too technical for me!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I have a Mac and used parallels to "register" the Sony with adobe. From then on I don't need windows as I can use Calibre for moving books to and from my various ebooks and as a library and news source.

I've used BoB almost exclusively since I got my various readers and have only had a few problems with regional restrictions. However regionalisation is a right pain in the rear.

In the UK Borders, WHsmith and Waterstones have pretty poor websites for buying ebooks. Of those 3, WHSmith is the best, but all have an interesting attitiude to pricing.

I haven't tried using my paypal account to "solve" regional issues with BoB, but I might give it a try next time.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
repeat, server failed message & so sent twice.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, dieselnutjob.

You've undoubtedly come to the right place for your questions, it may just take a little more time to get the answer.

Have patience. Someone will nail it soon.

Enjoy the forums and the free books offered here in the meantime.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
dieselnutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
I have a Mac and used parallels to "register" the Sony with adobe.
Could someone explain this registration process please?

I assume that you are talking about Adobe Digital Editions.

There is a Mac version and a Windows version but no Linux version.

Presumably there are some digital keys associated with this software, and I have to figure out whether it should be used on real Windows, or virtualised, or whether the keys (if that is the right term) can exist on both. I don't have anything that looks as flash as parallels.

However if it's just a username and password for example I can presumably enter it on both.

It's a bit like have two PCs I suppose, so if someone has one and work and one at home and shares their library and buys books with both then it would be the same.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yes, when you download Adobe Digital Editions and install it, you create an account with username and password and register your computer and reader with the account. It needs an internet connection and not much else.

To get it all to work I think you also need to register your reader with sony, I think this is a one off thing on a windows machine, but I can't remember now exactly what I did.

You will need Adobe Digital Editions to be working if you buy ebooks from UK bookstores, as it handles epub files with DRM, which is what Waterstones and others usually offer for sony readers. Also for some of the books from US stores, although not from the sony store.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
ruth1304
Addict

In case you are interested, Books on Board is now operating a UK store as well - there's a link on the left side of their homepage.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselnutjob View Post
Is there any reason not install the US software from ebookstore.sony.com from day 1 ?
I understand that I won't be able to use a British credit card and so I'll be buying vouchers from people here, but that doesn't seem so bad.

Will it work with a UK spec 505 ?
I have done this with both my Sony 500 and my 505.
Just tick the box claiming to live in the USA. Ignore the page asking for your credit card details.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
dieselnutjob

thanks, that's good news.

next question: can the Sony windows software (USA version) be installed onto multiple PCs with the same account so that books can be viewed/synced with ereader on multiple PCs.

if so presumably there's a limit (like itunes)
what's the limit?
can you reset the limit if it's exceeded?

i have a lot of different PCs/laptops and I'm always messing with them, and there's the virtualisation thing as well

thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
6 devices (that is inclusive of both computers and readers). You can de-authorise as well though to claim some back if it's ever needed.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote