Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
JoinTech ebook reader

Believe it or not, this is the sort of reader device I'd like. If battery is long lasting anyway. Check out the JE100 here..

http://asuseeehacks.blogspot.com/200...ch-jl7200.html

They also have a netbook (can't remember, but I think might be WinCE based), for $125 in large quantities!

Who knows? Maybe these netbooks, together with battery tech, efficient processors and OLPC type screens might just give drive the cheap e-book readers that we need to spread the fun to the general public!

And more importantly to me, if the screen is big enough, maybe I'll finally have that inexpensive and effective pdf reader for tech docs that I've been longing for!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Actually that does look like a winning device to me too! The one feature I think ebookreaders need is an alarm clock. I still need to take my mobile phone to bed with me at night to wake me up because the EBW1150 can't do it.

(I can't use an alarm clock as they are not flexable enough for my wacky schedule)
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I don't see the specs for it in the link.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
How did I miss this yesterday?

I bet the screen on the JL100 is 7". Also, it probably runs WinCE (which means you can add a Wifi SD card as well as many extra reader formats).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How did I miss this yesterday?

I bet the screen on the JL100 is 7". Also, it probably runs WinCE (which means you can add a Wifi SD card as well as many extra reader formats).
I wonder what type of screen it has. eInk or LCD?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LCD. There's a whole bunch of these generic 7" WinCE tablet machines coming onto the market at the moment. Presumably all originating with the same manufacturer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LCD. There's a whole bunch of these generic 7" WinCE tablet machines coming onto the market at the moment. Presumably all originating with the same manufacturer.
Ah. Then it is of no interest to me as ebook reader
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
worxland
Connoisseur
worxland began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I don't see the specs for it in the link.
And based on past experiences with tablet PCs it will have

- more than 0.5 kg weight
- 800x480 resolution
- less than 1 day battery life
worxland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, battery life could certainly be an issue, at least if WiFi is left on. But WinCe is designed for lower powered units so it is possible that the biggest energy hog outside the WiFi is the screen. So its possible it might do ok.

Actually, a device like this could be reasonably promising. And certainly offers more flexibility than anything else out there; but not great if looking at back lit screens for a long time bugs you...

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote