Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
jepherz
jepherz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Fewer pages after conversion, did something go wrong?

I just tried to convert an epub formated book with 808 pages into a mobi formate. I ended up with 636 pages, that's a lot fewer pages... did something go wrong in the process?
jepherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well....epub makers often insert page breaks at the beginning of each new chapter. A mobi ebook will not create those page breaks and will create one long, run-on file.

I'm not sure that will explain 144 pages...it depends on how many chapters are in the book, I guess! Plus, there could be simple things like the dedication, author notes, etc, that were each on single pages that are now not.

What are you basing your page count on? Is it Kindle pages? (I don't have a Kindle, so I can only answer in general on what I see when I convert epub > mobi).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
jepherz

No, I'm basing this off of the ebook viewer in calibre which I viewed both versions in. I did a quick search through the book, it looks like the beginning and ending are the same but I'm not sure if everything else is still there in the middle of the book..
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Did you hard-code a font size in? As a person with older eyes, I tend to make sure my default font size 14. That would also change the page counts, although for me, it would be in the other direction.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
jepherz

I dont think I did, I just use the default settings on calibre, I don't understand how to configure many of the features.

I'm reading it and it looks like some of the texts are white on the kindle so I can't read it...

Last edited by jepherz; 12-26-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Advert