Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Finally! Kindle touch update 5.1.0 is here!!!!!

We have a new, free software update available for your Kindle Touch that you can manually download. We will be delivering this update over Wi-Fi in the coming weeks.

New features in this update include:

Language Support: Customize your Kindle Touch with the language you prefer: English (US and UK), German, French, Spanish, Italian, or Brazilian Portuguese.
Landscape Mode: Switch between portrait and landscape orientation in books and PDFs to read maps, graphs, and tables more easily.
Instant Translations: Tap any word or highlight a section to instantly translate into other languages, including Spanish, Japanese, and more. Translations by Bing Translator.
Kindle Format 8: Formatting and layout improvements make Kindle books look even better.
Wi-Fi Enhancements: Connect your Kindle Touch to Wi-Fi with WPS and select WPA2 Enterprise networks.
Read-to-Me With Text-to-Speech: Have your Kindle Touch read English-language content out loud to you, now including summaries of newspaper and magazine articles when available from the publisher.
More Sharing Options: Tell others what you're reading on Facebook or Twitter from anywhere within a book — just tap to share a link along with your comments.
Onscreen Keyboard Suggestions: Search and shop faster with automatic word suggestions as you type.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
So the thing finally gets landscape the week after I sold mine.

A lot of other features people are requesting are things that were removed deliberately and have little chance of re-appearing, but landscape they really needed to add, since the other Kindles have it.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
KF8 support is probably going to interest more people than landscape mode, I imagine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I like the layout changes. And landscape does not support auto which suits me just fine because my DX would never stay locked on portrait. And I like the title bar so I see the time and battery charge while reading.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
KF8 support is probably going to interest more people than landscape mode, I imagine.
Agreed
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Simply a shame that the rotation resumes to an option inside a book's reading, when a long-time hack already uses the accelerometer. You can't event choose to read upside down (I would prefer, testedly) with this update.

Anxious for nothing.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I like the layout changes. And landscape does not support auto which suits me just fine because my DX would never stay locked on portrait. And I like the title bar so I see the time and battery charge while reading.
Uh oh. Is the title bar now showing while in portrait view? I hope not!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
No it's the same. The title bar disappears once you turn the page.
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
Thank you.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Landscape support! Awesome!!!!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
That is disappointing. Like Talldog I like having the title always showing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
What a great update! It's much easier to navigate - I particularly like that the "go to" menu in a book now includes the chapter titles.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #13
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
Wow, this update seems excellent at first glance.

1. The Collections page has a new font (looks "cleaner" to me)

2. After a mistranslation of a French word "lancinantes" (in English, the Kindle reported "ancinantes" as a translation), it did translate another very quickly ("soubresauts" - technically, "somersault" but in this context it really does mean "ups and downs" which the Kindle translated perfectly!); wondering if this feature works without wifi/3g on...

3. And the landscape function worked magic on a badly scanned, OCR book I have in PDF format, I kept tapping to turn the page, and it automatically jumped down the page (in 3 parts, for me) and turned to the next page. The print is now MUCH easier to read. Love it.

But question: has anything changed in the Read-to-Me With Text-to-Speech function? The site advertises: "Have your Kindle Touch read English-language content out loud to you, now including summaries of newspaper and magazine articles when available from the publisher."
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
That is disappointing. Like Talldog I like having the title always showing.
On the DXG that's fine due to the larger display but it takes up valuable real estate on the smaller Kindles and is annoying. I like the clean look of a real book.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
And landscape does not support auto which suits me just fine because my DX would never stay locked on portrait.
That's odd. Mine does (firmware 2.5.8). It does go back to 'auto' mode after a restart, but how often do you need to do that?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote