Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
andyd
andyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
How do I know what the reader is capable of in terms of reading a PDF?

Say for example I want to add the ebook version of my Excel 2007 Bible. Nothing in color but there are plenty of figures in the book. Would that actually display properly? Would I need to convert the book first so that it's actually something that someone can read?

I would try myself but I'm honestly not sure if I want to keep it so rather not open it just yet. High prices on Connect and lack of clarity on what I can do in terms of PDF viewing is pushing me towards returning it
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
andyd, you can return it after trying it, can't you? Anyways, I wouldn't expect the Excel 2007 Bible to look very good on the Reader, and reformatting a PDF is quite difficult, especially if it's protected. Besides, it's usually not a very good idea to read reference books on the Reader, since it might be difficult to locate a specific page.

I think you should give it a try before returning it, though, if you can.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can see how a document will look on the Reader by loading it into the PC "Connect" software - in its "Full Screen" mode it shows exactly what the Reader will.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, except bigger ... lots bigger ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
READING PDF FILES ON THE SONY READER

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Say for example I want to add the ebook version of my Excel 2007 Bible. Nothing in color but there are plenty of figures in the book. Would that actually display properly? Would I need to convert the book first so that it's actually something that someone can read?
The Sony Reader does a good job reading PDF files especially when they are formatted for it. This forum just lists lrf files. Personally I haven't had much luck translating GP eBooks into lrf. Instead, I've been using WordPerfect X3 to make PDF files. WP Office X3 uses the Quattro Pro spreadsheet which can import Excel sheets and Publish them as PDF files, but most spreadsheets are formatted for 8.5 by 11 inches or for a computer monitor and don't really fit the pocket-book size page.

I like the way PDF looks on the Reader. I tried to convert a copy of Christmas Carol I formatted using WPX3 from PDF to lrf. The file bloated from a 500kb PDF file to a 13.5mb lrf file. In the process it lost its Table of Contents and most of the formatting. I guess I'm saying that PDF files work well quite well on the Reader if you format the document for it and pretty well even if you don't. It all seems to depend on how flexible the document about formatting.

I'll try to attach the sample Christmas Carol PDF. You can look at it using the Connect software or in Adobe Reader. PDF files seem to have several advantages and look OK.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A Christmas Carol.pdf (498.7 KB, 540 views)
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
In my experience, page turns for pdfs on the sony reader take forever. It might depend how the original pdf was formatted though. Also, if the page size of the original pdf is anything like 8.5x11, it will be way too small to read on the reader, even in landscape mode.

I do like the sony though for reading books with lrf formatting. Give it a shot.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
The Sony Reader does a good job reading PDF files especially when they are formatted for it.
Very true, 6charlong, but andyd is asking about PDFs from other folks, ones he's not controlling the creation of and therefore may have trouble getting them formatted for the Reader. That's why we're talking about them the way we are.

Quote:
This forum just lists lrf files.
We've focused mostly on LRF format because that's what the Reader seems to handle most elegantly.

We're not down on PDFs, per se, we just know there are ... complications when dealing with PDFs that are not formatted for the Reader, as the vast majority (almost all non-self-generated) of them are not.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We're not down on PDFs, per se, we just know there are ... complications when dealing with PDFs that are not formatted for the Reader, as the vast majority (almost all non-self-generated) of them are not.
Come off it, Nat, of course we're "down" on PDFs, because PDF was never designed as, and is not good as, an eBook format. Yes, PDFs created specifically for the Reader's page size look great, but you won't find too many of those in the "real world".

PDF really is, generally speaking, an appalling format for an eBook, unless it's one that's been created specifically for the Reader. Avoid like the plague!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

All of that's true, HarryT, what I meant was that PDF is a perfectly fine format for its designed purpose. It works okay for the Reader if it's formatted properly, but it's still pretty rigid. If somebody's more comfortable with that, then more power to 'em.

Of course, as you and I both alluded to, none of that applies to the Excel 2007 Bible that was referenced in the original post.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
The Sony Reader does a good job reading PDF files especially when they are formatted for it. This forum just lists lrf files.
Maybe that's because most people here don't have any troubles with converting to lrf.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Sony is a great gadget and I'm very glad I've bought it. However, versatile, it is not. It does ONE thing very very well, and that is allowing you to read a novel from page one to page xxx, sequentially, at normal reading speed. But that's pretty much all it does well

It's useless for references, since it does not have a search feature. Also turning pages is slow, so you'll quickly loose patience if you are trying to "flip" through a book looking for a page. While text is quite clear, diagrams are less so, because they are naturally reduced in size to fit the pocket size format.

If you really intended it mostly for PDF and manuals and reference material, I'd return it if I was you, you won't be satisfied with it. If on the other hand, you enjoy reading novels, then it's perfect.
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you really want a device for reading PDF, wait for the v9 to be released. It is said to be able to handle A4 sized PDF.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote