Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Walpole, Horace: The Castle of Otranto. v.1, 28 June 2007

Horace Walpole, 'The Castle of Otranto' (1764)

I have removed some scanning errors,and added a picture of the real castle of Otranto and a TOC.

This novella was the original gothic novel. Prince Manfred of Otranto is having trouble with apparitions and strange happenings in his castle. How will the mysterious prophecy about his family succession be fulfilled? Will any family members survive? Or will they be punished up to the third generation?

Horace Walpole was the fourth son of Robert Walpole, the first British Prime Minister. His fondness for things gothic is well-known and, single-handedly he popularised the style. Not only did he produce this gothic novel but he built a gothic mansion at Strawberry Hill, near Twickenham.

If you liked Dr Johnson's 'Rasselas' or Beckford's 'Vathek' then you will probably like this. I have to admit that while the prose is beautiful, Walpole is not so good at capturing a spooky atmosphere. Some of the apparitions are (for me) unintentionally funny.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Castle of Otranto.lrf (146.9 KB, 774 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I remember reading something about this book. Maybe in this one: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_book/234

It pretty much said that although it is quite interesting due to the fact that this is the original gothic book, the story itself is boring overall.
I loved Vathek and The Monk, maybe I should still give it a shot...

I'm overall impressed by the choice of your e-books btw Patricia !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Another great effort and result. Thanks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Horace Walpole, 'The Castle of Otranto' (1764)

I've wanted this book for a LONG time!

Thank you, Patricia.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
and the hits just keep on coming
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I can't believe I've found this book at last!

I've been looking for this as well as other period-specific gothic novels that employed conspicuously surreal imagery when such excesses were expected to be explained. This usually led to extra narrative zest.

Hence the fun of the giant helmet in this, the first and perhaps strangest novel in the genre.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote