View Poll Results: Kindle for iOs vs Kindle for Android
Kindle for iOs 6 60.00%
Kindle for Android 4 40.00%
None 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Kindle for iOs or Kindle for Android

Few days with my new Nook HD and I am really happy with it. It is a very good alternative to my iPad mini. However, I have noticed few important differences between applications and wanted to see if folks here have noticed those as well.

Just to mention a few ...

-Kindle for iOs uses the whole screen while reading.
-Kindle for iOs offers way more fonts
-Kindle for iOs more fluid (maybe a perception or a hardware thing?)

I do not understand why we can't have those, specially 1st one, maybe a B&N restriction? Those buttons at the bottom are a waste of space!

Also, this is more a personal preference than anything else, but no page turn animation either.

Which one do you like most, if you have Android AND Apple tablets?

Last edited by jocampo; 05-12-2013 at 11:20 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I'm an Android-only user but am familiar with your observations. I suspect Amazon's objective is to be as Apple-friendly as possible (more and better options with the iOS app) in order to win as many new customers to Amazon's ecosystem and away from Apple's and, at the same time, encourage Android users to buy their hardware from Amazon as opposed to other Android devices.

It ticks me off as an Android user so I use the nook app and Moon + Reader on my android devices for more options. :-)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

This is really a fairly old topic which has been discussed many times an many threads. But yes, those of us with access to Kindle apps on various platforms will tell you that the most advanced mobile app for Kindle is by far the iOS app. I love the Kindle for iOS app and use it almost exclusively for my reading on my iPhone and iPad. I no longer have an Android tablet, but still have an Android phone but it sits retired on a shelf. The Kindle for Android app was not that good on my Motorola Atrix 4G. It is much better reading on my iPhone with the Kindle for iOS app. To be honest, there is no comparison between Kindle for Android and iOS as the iOS app is a generation or two ahead. I personally hope it stays that way as I'm done with Android.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I personally hope it stays that way as I'm done with Android.
Why? What do you mean with that ?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
To be honest, there is no comparison between Kindle for Android and iOS as the iOS app is a generation or two ahead. I personally hope it stays that way as I'm done with Android.
So, just because you do not care for Android the app should remain a generation or two behind the iOS version?

Nothing self-centered about that statement.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've used the kindle app on both platforms and I think the iOS app is better by far. It's more stable and slicker. It opens straight away on my iOS devices, whereas on my android devices it can take up to 30 seconds to open. Also if I'm reading a book on the kindle app, if I exit the app and then open it again on iOS it opens back up in the book I was reading even if it's days later, whereas on android the app starts again and I have to go back into the book. Not to mention the added features of the iOS app.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for Android does have features not found in Kindle for iOS:

- kf8 reflowable support (the iOS app only supports mobi and its much more limited CSS).
- in-app access to Kindle Store
- voice search for finding items in your library
- send to kindle option appears as a Sharing option on a number of Android apps

As far as getting to feature parity with iOS app, I believe this is largely demand driven. The more we use the app, and send feedback about what we want (and there is a link in the app for doing this), the more likely that feature will appear sooner rather than later.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I've used the kindle app on both platforms and I think the iOS app is better by far. It's more stable and slicker. It opens straight away on my iOS devices, whereas on my android devices it can take up to 30 seconds to open. Also if I'm reading a book on the kindle app, if I exit the app and then open it again on iOS it opens back up in the book I was reading even if it's days later, whereas on android the app starts again and I have to go back into the book. Not to mention the added features of the iOS app.
I think it very much depends on the hardware in terms of stability and performance, though in general I would agree. I have not had any particular trouble with Kindle on my Xoom, while on my iPod Touch it crashes more often and can be sluggish. But the latter has less RAM and cpu to offer.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
If you are in the book on the Android app and you hit the home button, the Kindle app will open back up in the book next time.

Another feature I love with the Android app is that you can use two fingers swiping up or down to increase/decrease brightness. I wish they would implement this on the PW.

That being said, I prefer the old app and do not like the newest update with the carousel.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Why? What do you mean with that ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
So, just because you do not care for Android the app should remain a generation or two behind the iOS version?

Nothing self-centered about that statement.
So I'm not allowed to wish the best be developed for my chosen platform? Why in hell would I want Kindle for Android development to leapfrog Kindle for iOS when I use the latter? Damn you guys should think before typing and not be so temperamental and judgmental.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wish that Amazon would get some consistency in their development across the board and actually try to make all of their apps have the same feature set and look/feel.

That said, I only use the Kindle apps for short reading periods, and for reading novels. While the iOS version feels smoother and opens faster which is nice, they both really work adequately IMO. I don't really use any of the more advanced features however.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote