Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I read somewhere (?) that Apple acknowledged some problems with WiFi and hopes to make some corrections in software. (is that vague enough for ya?)
That won't fix Harry's problem though, not if his iPod touch doesn't get a signal either.

I live in a very old house with very thick walls and had to get an Access point which is used for one side of the house while my router is used for the other side. So two wireless networks. The iPad will happily switch between them depending on the strength of the signals.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #32
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Damn, just dropped again. So guess switching to WPA did not fix the problem totally.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #33
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Damn, just dropped again. So guess switching to WPA did not fix the problem totally.
I don't know what brand her router is and even within the same brand the "Admin menu" options can be different but if that router has the ability to assign a dedicated IP to a device connected to the network such as your iPad and has QOS (Quality of Service) rules functionality based on internal IP addresses here's what you should do:

1. Assign a static IP address to the iPad. Devices with static IPs don't go through the "lease/release" routine that devices using dynamic IPs need to perform when connecting/disconnecting. This is one of the main iPad wifi issues.
2. Create a QOS rule that gives the iPad's IP top priority over all other devices. QOS is usually on by default prioritizing, for example, VOIP and on-line game streams over P2P but you can also use it to give priority to specific devices.

#2 is not absolutely necessary but if you often do large downloads or P2P with your desktop, your iPad will always have first dibs on the bandwidth and the desktop will get whatever is leftover. When the high priority device is not using bandwidth, all of it gets used by whatever needs it.

I did that with my iPad, iPhone and my work lap-top through my D-Link DIR655 router... works for me
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The router is an older D-link.

May try #1 sometime if we can figure it out, neither of us are very good at this networking crap. Took her a couple hours to get the wifi printer working again after I changed the router to WPA.

Going to WPA did seem to help though, only dropped the one time when I was using it, and at least didn't ask for the network key again.

#2 I don't think she'd want to do as she uses her desktop and laptop a ton more than the iPad at home. It more just annoyed me, she wasn't that bothered by it dropping every so often.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #35
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Three days running now, my wifi problem has escalated to the point where it's requesting the WPA password for the router. The routine dropped connections were bad enough...this is just nuts.

At this point, I've gone through all of Apple's recommendations on this issue multiple times with no improvement in the wifi issue. Given that I'm on an all Apple network, and no other device on the network is having issues (including my husband's 3G iPad), I'm less than amused. Looks like I'd best plan on a trip to my local store tomorrow or the next day to arrange an exchange.

Sigh.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm having similar problems. I have a Roadrunner cable modem/router. For the first 2-3 weeks absolutely no dropped WiFi connections. This past weekend, I've lost connection every hour! Syncing and following Apple suggestions doesn't change the situation.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #37
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Weird. I started having some wi-fi issues for the first time this weekend as well. I just assumed it was because I was messing with my router settings Friday. Actually, in my case, it is probably because of my messing with my router settings-I swear the whole router/network/wi-fi thing is half science, half black magic.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard

I'm with you there kjk!

Networking is still way more complicated and finicky than it should be! I'm reasonably computer literate, but absolutely loathe setting up networks, messing with wifi settings etc.!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #39
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'm with you there kjk!

Networking is still way more complicated and finicky than it should be! I'm reasonably computer literate, but absolutely loathe setting up networks, messing with wifi settings etc.!
I don't blame you. It is full of esoteric terms, strings of hexadecimal numbers, etc. and there are very few (any?) third party programs that provide a user-friendly front-end.

What can I say? There's power in that gobbledygook but you have to be willing to put in the time to learn some of it... it's sort of like adjusting carburators and such in days of old: not for everyone but worthwhile nevertheless.

Otherwise you just have to accept that wifi works in mysterious ways just like the internal combustion engine.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #40
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, I hate all that crap. I'm just not a tech head. I like gadgets, but I like them to be simple and easy to use and require minimal tinkering to get them to work properly!

Engines are a good equivalent--but that's why my car goes to the shop for any work--even an oil change! I don't have the time or interest in learning crap like that.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #41
Caleb
Voracious eReader
Caleb began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm having similar problems. I have a Roadrunner cable modem/router. For the first 2-3 weeks absolutely no dropped WiFi connections. This past weekend, I've lost connection every hour! Syncing and following Apple suggestions doesn't change the situation.
Note that some of the RR modems, especially the Arris (sp?) wireless+voip modem have a limit of 5-6 dchp leases on the wireless side. Makes no sense but that's why you have to love an oem modem. Get a router, assign it a static ip on the rr modem and place it in the dmz.

----------Edit----------
Just read your latest post, so imagine my idea might be a bit terse.

Last edited by Caleb; 06-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
dmaul1114
Wizard

My girlfriend finally went to the Apple store and got an exchange for a new iPad today. Final straw for her was comparing iPads with a colleague at a conference last week and he was able to get on wifi in the lobby they were in and hers couldn't connect.

Hopefully the new one won't have the rampant wifi issues here launch day model had.