Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
calibre-parallel.exe twice?

Is there a reason that Calibre runs two calibre-parallel.exe processes to convert books?

It seems both are taking up 50% CPU and neither is converting quickly due to neither process getting the full amount of CPU it needs.

Wouldn't it make sense to run one conversion process at a time?

For example I have two processes sitting at 24-35mins Running time. 2 MB each file. This is nuts.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It runs as many processes as you have CPU cores.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
aaah, righto, Thanks for the VERY fast reply.
Another quick question then. If you have only one process running why does it ONLY use 50% CPU?
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Landrovan
Enthusiast
Landrovan began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
A process can only run on one core. So if you have 2 core, no process can use more than 50% of the CPU.
Landrovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburnt View Post
aaah, righto, Thanks for the VERY fast reply.
Another quick question then. If you have only one process running why does it ONLY use 50% CPU?
One process can only use a single core. If you have two cores, a single process will always leave one core idle, and depending on how your monitoring software displays things, you'll see CPU usage at 50% (one core at 100%, the other at 0%, more or less).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So I guess this means my 1.7GHz pentium-M laptop has 4 cores? I didn't know that.

P.S. Right now it's running 2 calibre-parallel processes in the background.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are two calibre-parallel.exe processes maintained in the background per core. However only one is actively run at a time per core (unless you happen to add/save books while also converting)
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Konrad Vorgen
Konrad Vorgen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre and many CPU cores

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well I was hoping that until I ran Calibre v.0.7.49 on on my Intel i7 Core-720QM. Yes it has 4 cores and Hyper-Threading.

Actually it seems that there are 3 working threads (yes, there are 6 calibre-parallel.exe processes).

It should be at least 4 working threads (there are 4 cores). In the best situation there should be 8 working threads ( 4 cores multiply by HT). Just to not start another discussion - yes 8 threads are faster than 4 on this CPU - I tested it by Prime.

Can You tell me why it happened?
Thanks for your help.
Konrad Vorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because the max number is capped at 6, see preferences->miscellaneous
Old 03-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Konrad Vorgen
Konrad Vorgen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks

Thanks a lot kovidgoyal.

I knew then there must be parameter somewhere but can't find it

I just changed the settings and now I have 8 working threads (16 calibre-parallel.exe processes). Oh my god, now it really fast

From now on I will be using calibre to test my CPU speed instead of prime

Did I say thank You? Thank You very much!
Konrad Vorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Littletart
Littletart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Why such a resource hog?

Why does this process use up all of my CPU usage? I'm converting some books and I can't use my PC for anything else. I don't need calibre to use so much of my memory. I have two processes and they are using 100% of my memory - I cant even check my email or open a browser window. This is very invasive and hardly seems a reasonable use of my cpu.
Littletart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletart View Post
Why does this process use up all of my CPU usage? I'm converting some books and I can't use my PC for anything else. I don't need calibre to use so much of my memory. I have two processes and they are using 100% of my memory - I cant even check my email or open a browser window. This is very invasive and hardly seems a reasonable use of my cpu.
Memory? or CPU cycles?
If you are running out of RAM, you might consider that 512M is not good for much other than reading mail

1 to 2G on XP is sweet for Process intensive programs.
Vista or W7 the sweet spot moves UP to 3 to 4G of RAM

There is a Calibre preference to reduce Priority to LOW, which will allow othe programs (with normal Priority) to run in spite of Calibre.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletart View Post
I can't use my PC for anything else. I don't need calibre to use so much of my memory. I have two processes and they are using 100% of my memory - I cant even check my email or open a browser window. This is very invasive and hardly seems a reasonable use of my cpu.
As theducks says go to Preferences - Behavior and change Job Priority from Normal to Low and you'll be able to check email again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote