Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Emergency Reset

I was sitting on the train, looking forward to reading my kindle. It was frozen. I looked in my purse, and my briefcase, and I couldn't find anything thin enough to reset my kindle. Then I thought about my mechanical pencil. The lead is the perfect size to use to reset your device.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Good thinking McGuyver! Did the pencil lead work without breaking? I keep a paperclip attached to the cover at all times in case of emergency.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I was sitting on the train, looking forward to reading my kindle. It was frozen. I looked in my purse, and my briefcase, and I couldn't find anything thin enough to reset my kindle. Then I thought about my mechanical pencil. The lead is the perfect size to use to reset your device.
I use the original M-edge cover. It has little pockets on the inside. Thats where I keep my paper clip. The material is slip resistant, so its never slipped out and scratched anything.

Gotta say tho.......you did use the little grey cells.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I use the original M-edge cover. It has little pockets on the inside. Thats where I keep my paper clip. The material is slip resistant, so its never slipped out and scratched anything.

Gotta say tho.......you did use the little grey cells.
I do the same with the M-Edge cover but with the original cover I would just use low tack blue painter's tape to attach the clip to the back of the Kindle itself.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I do the same with the M-Edge cover but with the original cover I would just use low tack blue painter's tape to attach the clip to the back of the Kindle itself.
You could do that with any cover, couldn't you? What a great idea!

Course, if we still wore hats, we'd have our hatpins.........hard to believe we actually used these at one time.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatpins.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	29820  
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the compliments, but it really was out of desperation. (Necessity is the mother . . .) I may have had something that pointed in my purse before 9-11 (I used to carry mace on my key-chain when I lived in the city). A 25-minute train ride without my books? Arg! Funny thing was, I fully expected the lead to break, and it did not! I just read your posts, Daffy and Desertgrandma, and am clipping a paper clip to my Oberon.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
My Kindle 1 freezes fairly frequently. I never have a sharp implement to push the reset button, but removing the battery works fine too.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
My Kindle 1 freezes fairly frequently. I never have a sharp implement to push the reset button, but removing the battery works fine too.
See, it shouldn't. I would definitely be calling Kindle support.

Great hint about removing the battery tho....one of those "obvious" things we never think about.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Yes, it shouldn't happen very often. I think I have had to reset 3 times, since November.

I always reset my Blackberry by taking out the battery, but when I took hold of the battery in my kindle, it seemed too snug - I was afraid I would dislodge something. Now of course, that is contrary to a user change battery, but I can get another Blackberry. I cannot be without my kindle!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The only time I have had to do a reset on my Kindle 1 was when I let the battery run almost all the way down and then added a couple of books to it. It went crazy trying to organize and index and apparently crashed in the middle of something important. Now, I'm always careful to put the Kindle onto the mains power before I transfer books to it -- and then leave it plugged in for an hour or so to give it time to finish the indexing without it having to draw down the battery.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
PurpleDog
PurpleDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, iTouch 32 & 64, iPod classic 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I'm a newbie .. hello all !! I've had my Kindle 1 since 5/22. It's locked up 4 times in the last 48 hours. I called customer service this afternoon and even though I'm the second owner, the unit itself is still under warranty until 8/18/09. I explained that I did not want to continue removing the battery to un-freeze the unit and they said .. ok, we will send you a replacement right away. I didnt even realize there is a reset button and the customer service guy did not mention it !!

I wonder if I can buy an extended warranty on the replacement ?
PurpleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I suspect the problem is not your Kindle but whatever the current book you've been reading in the past 48 hours is.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I suspect the problem is not your Kindle but whatever the current book you've been reading in the past 48 hours is.
Could be but not necessarily. A few months after buying, my K1 started freezing on me daily....and it happened on different books.

Amazon CS walked me through reinstalling the firmware on my Kindle (promising to exchange if that didn't fix the problem) and it did the trick.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yea, I just remove the battery and most of the time it does the trick.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote