Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Mossberg gives K2 thumbs up

Walt Mossberg, the eminent technology columnist for the Wall Street Journal, just handed down his verdict on Amazon's Kindle 2. Walt considers the K2 a "well-designed, satisfying piece of hardware", fixing most of the design flaws of the earlier Kindle (such as accidential page turns or the book cover falling off). In summation he says, "[F]or serious book readers who are tired of toting around stacks of books and periodicals, the new Kindle is finally a pleasure to use."

Article: Amazon's Kindle 2 Improves the Good, Leaves Out the Bad

Related: Walt Mossberg reviews the Kindle in the WSJ (Nov 11, 2007)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
While the Kindle project has often been compared with Apple's iPod, because both are hardware devices seamlessly connected to online-content stores, there is a fundamental difference. Apple offers content to sell hardware. Amazon offers the Kindle to sell content.

If, say, this electronic content were available not only on the Kindle reader, but via Kindle software apps on Apple's iPhone or the BlackBerry, the e-book market could explode.
An excellent observation, although also another example of myopic viewpoint... there are lots of phones capable or reading e-books besides the iPhone and Blackberry.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The title of Mossberg's piece is "Amazon's Kindle 2 Improves the Good, Leaves Out the Bad." Well, he got it half right.

Yes, the leather cover doesn't fall off -- because it no longer comes with a cover.
It also no longer comes with the ability to add an SD Card or to replace the battery. Plus they didn't provide the ability to manage content by providing the much asked for "folders".

I'm glad Mossberg liked the Kindle, but when he makes comments like, "[it] still can't be read in the dark" it makes me question his opinion.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
An excellent observation, although also another example of myopic viewpoint... there are lots of phones capable or reading e-books besides the iPhone and Blackberry.
And don't forget desktop and laptop computers as well for reading eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The title of Mossberg's piece is "Amazon's Kindle 2 Improves the Good, Leaves Out the Bad." Well, he got it half right.

Yes, the leather cover doesn't fall off -- because it no longer comes with a cover.
It also no longer comes with the ability to add an SD Card or to replace the battery. Plus they didn't provide the ability to manage content by providing the much asked for "folders".

I'm glad Mossberg liked the Kindle, but when he makes comments like, "[it] still can't be read in the dark" it makes me question his opinion.
Send him to M-Edge. Then he can read in the dark.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post

I agree..i wonder if he even tried to read it in low light..it's certainly no worse than a hard copy!
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
noseinabook71
noseinabook71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1...soon to be Kindle 2
I own a Kindle 1 and just ordered the Kindle 2 yesterday..I paused very slightly about the non user-replaceable battery but took the plunge anyway. One of my Ipods is over 3 years old, and still works. I have other gadgets with non user replaceable batteries that work still also. So, this may be overly optimistic of me, but I figure the Kindle 2's battery should hang in there for at least a couple of years. By which time, they'll have come out with the Kindle 3, which I'll have to have. I know, it's an illness.

The lack of the SD card option does not bother me at all...haven't used it yet in my Kindle 1. I read all the time, and have many books on my Kindle...still have tons of storage left. I don't listen to MP3's on my Kindle either.

I upgraded because I like the form, and I'm one of those jittery types that was always hitting the "next page" button.. Plus as I mentioned previously, I'm bad about wanting the next thing. I've tried to overcome this, but no dice. Thank God, I have a secure job that pays well(RN) so I can feed my gadget habit!

I'll end up selling my Kindle 1..one of my relatives always wanted a Kindle but she doesn't like to pay full price for stuff. I bet she'll want to buy it. If not, I guess there's Ebay.
noseinabook71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
myridom
Enthusiast
myridom doesn't littermyridom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
If he gives it a good review, I usually reconsider. He appeals to a user base that I wouldn't allow to program the clock on my microwave.

MyridoM
myridom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
sunchicka
sunchicka began at the beginning.

Device: none
The kindle 2 shows a lot of promise improvement wise.
sunchicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
PK1
PK1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by myridom View Post
If he gives it a good review, I usually reconsider. He appeals to a user base that I wouldn't allow to program the clock on my microwave.

MyridoM
Absolutely, Walt is usually off from what is reality. Always seems to just be filling a column without really putting it through its paces.
PK1 is offline   Reply With Quote