Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Cold Weather and contrast?

Okay has anyone else noticed a distinct difference in the contrast of the 505 when it's cold?

Over the past few days it's been getting down to about freezing in London and I've noticed that when out and about in the cold the contrast drops dramatically. Not unreadable by anymeans, but clearly there.

I don't remember this happening last year though, and I can't see any other threads about it.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I can't say I've noticed any difference. My reader is in my bag at all times (when not being read) which sits in the hall - the coldest place in the house (being right next to the front door).
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh yes. Since I smoke and live in horribly cold weather, I've noticed this. It gets slightly lighter but I've noticed the ghosting gets much worse. Once you warm it back up it works fine though. I think it happens mainly because the case is metal so it gets cooler fast.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riocaz View Post
Okay has anyone else noticed a distinct difference in the contrast of the 505 when it's cold?
I noticed it with both my 500 and 505, so I've just been assuming it's a feature of e-ink displays. I do a fair amount of waiting for buses, and if if the display in the cold-enough long-enough then it gets close to illegible .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Not contrast per se, but last year I did report to this board that my 505 took a little while to "warm up", and during those first 20 or 30 page turns, the two pages would display simultaneously for a very short time, rather than do the simple "flash". Once I warmed the back of the cold metal with my hands, this behaviour would go away. Its not been cold enough for that to happen to me yet this winter.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I did notice some difference in cold weather but I wasn't sure if it was just the lighting. I often read on the bus after being outside 15 minutes at -15 Celsius. The text does seem lighter and page turns take slightly more time than usual. Nothing too important though, I can read without any problem. It also seems to get better after a couple of page turns.

I guess it's normal at that temperature... kind of like when my car's radio display does not work well in Canadian winter until the car is warmed up enough.

Last edited by Shiren; 01-08-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I will add to the chorus: yes, cold definitely affects the display on the 505. I was very worried the first time I experienced this, afraid it was permanent. So far, so good, however. After a while, or once the device is back up to normal room temperature, everything goes back to normal with no discernible ill effects.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
maybe the cold makes the liquid in the e-ink capsules more viscous and the pigment particules can't move around as freely.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
maybe the cold makes the liquid in the e-ink capsules more viscous and the pigment particules can't move around as freely.
I was thinking something along those lines.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this info on Google Product search for the 500:

Environmental Parameters
Min Operating Temperature 41 °F
Max Operating Temperature 95 °F

Which I think translates to minimum of 5 degrees celsius, just above freezing.

I couldn't find other specs but I doubt these have changed much in the 505 and the 700, anyone care to look it up in the actual Sony manual? Because I suddenly don't feel like taking my Sony out in subzero temperatures.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

from the 700 user manual :

Operating Temperature
41 to 95 °F (5 to 35 °C)

maybe everybody living in cold areas should knit a little sweater for their sony.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Grabbed the 505 manual from the Sony site, same specs as the 700 and 500.

It does mention in the troubleshooting section that low temperature also ties in to extremely short battery life, so it might be more about that. Still... better safe than sorry.

Can my sweater have a little hoodie?

No, no no, wait, I want a Doctor Who rainbow scarf!
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Can my sweater have a little hoodie?

No, no no, wait, I want a Doctor Who rainbow scarf!
heehee !! we're going to need a sony sweater fashion show pretty soon.

my sony will need a hat. hats are very important for keeping warm : 90% of body heat is lost through the extremities.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I don't think there was liquid in an eInk display like in an LCD (l=liquid).

And, I'm wrong:

The principal components of electronic ink are millions of tiny microcapsules, about the diameter of a human hair. In one incarnation, each microcapsule contains positively charged white particles and negatively charged black particles suspended in a clear fluid.

So, what you say makes perfect sense.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
could also have to do with the battery.
Many manufacturers warn saying there's a decrease in performance when battery temperature drops, the actual voltage on the output pinns drop.

It may be a combination of a variety of factors (like e-ink, and battery,and perhaps some other stuff).

If you're near an AC outlet, and can plug in your device, while it being cold; see if you still experience the same issues!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote