Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Webkit Browser (Safari's Engine) with Beta Release

Edit: There's a beta release in this post.

I don't know why, but I've decided I really want a good, working, web browser on the iLiad. Maybe it's Kindle envy, maybe I spend too much time porting when I should be working, who knows.

WebKit seems to be all the rage these days. They have builds of it for just about every platform, and the iPhone has really brought it into the mainstream. So my goal is to port WebKit to the iLiad and provide a useful interface for browsing.
  • It must be able to use the pagebar to page up and down.
  • Screen refreshes must not be obtrusive, and should be responsive. (Native refreshes only, no hacked libX11)
  • Support for Bookmarks and Recent URL's.
  • Easy to install package that can run from anywhere.

I've got Webkit compiled, and I'm using midori as a front end. Right now, the only page I can visit without it locking up is Google.com. But hopefully with some more bugsquashing, we can have a real, working browser on the iLiad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webkit.png
Views:	1451
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	10348  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Very cool.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Nice. This will be a very good addition to the iLiad. Thanks for your work Adam.,
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Thanks Adam, do you actually use the Iliad to read books or just porting?, if so where did get the time? Please tell us the magic trick.

Cheers
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
wagnerian
Musicology Student
wagnerian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Zaurus C1000
I love you Adam!!! (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ~♥
wagnerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by templario View Post
Thanks Adam, do you actually use the Iliad to read books or just porting?, if so where did get the time? Please tell us the magic trick.

Cheers
I don't do as much reading as I'd like. I use my iLiad at work mostly for a notepad and for documentation...
Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
The more apps we have the better.
Hey Adam B., I hold your "I-wanna-do-it-all-without-hacked-libX11" in high regard.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Nice!
Webkit is BTW not "Opera-based". It is originally based on the KHTML rendering engine (from KDE) and used by Apple as the rendering engine of Safari. It is currently also being used in the Google's Android platform as well as in Trolltech's Qtopia.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

It turns out Javascript was causing the browser to lock up. Once I turned it off, it's smooth sailing...

Some more teaser shots:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	useragent.png
Views:	1010
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	10568   Click image for larger version

Name:	mrwebkit.png
Views:	960
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	10570  
Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
This you HAD to come up with while my Iliad is away for the battery refit.. argh ... I wants this webkit thing! I wants it ... my precious ...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreatGonzo View Post
This you HAD to come up with while my Iliad is away for the battery refit.. argh ... I wants this webkit thing! I wants it ... my precious ...
It's OK, you're not missing out. He's just teasing us with screenshots at the moment. There'll be t-shirts and lunch-boxes and Adam B. action figures before we get to see the browser itself
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I just received my shipment box for the battery replacement. I hope to have a beta release of this today before I ship out my iLiad (and am without it for a week or so ).

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I'm attaching a beta release of Midori/Webkit

It's beta for a few reasons:
  • Some links will randomly cause the browser to crash.
  • The "File" menu doesn't always work (you'll need it to quit the program). Sometimes you may have to click "edit", "view" or some other menu to get the menus to start showing up.
  • Javascript has been disabled. You won't be able to browse any sites using it.
  • In order to use the pagebar to page up and down, you'll need to first tap the browser area
  • Clicking links can be a bit tricky, you'll need to make sure you tap quickly with the stylus, or it will highlight the text instead of going there.
  • You'll need some connetion scripts to connect to the internet before you use the browser.
  • Text entry into the address bar won't show up until you exit the keyboard.

If that list doesn't scare you, go ahead and download it. I think it's the best browser on the iLiad yet. The screen refreshes are all done internally, so they shouldn't be too troublesome. The pagebar and up/down arrow keys work. Most web pages look just fine with it.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	midoribeta.png
Views:	1382
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	10646   Click image for larger version

Name:	midorilauncher.png
Views:	1240
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	10652   Click image for larger version

Name:	webkitorg.png
Views:	1392
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	10653  
Attached Files
File Type: zip midori.zip (10.76 MB, 2747 views)
Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
nkelle
Trainee bricked one Iliad
nkelle began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad ER0100 soft 2.12
Great job , and it´s "only" a Beta-release..

Subjective more performance than minimo.

Best regards

nkelle
nkelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
zeuskeu
zeuskeu began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Yep,

I install your webkit, he looks like great but he doesn't works with my Connection manager. Wich one are you using to provide a good LAN (not wireless) connection on you iLiad ?
zeuskeu is offline   Reply With Quote