View Poll Results: Which do you prefer :
MythAdventures (by Robert Lynn Asprin) 17 16.67%
Discworld (by Terry Pratchett) 41 40.20%
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (by Douglas Adams) 44 43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Heck, no. There are so many sub-genres (Death, the Wizards, the Witches, the Watch, more recently Moist van Lipwig, ...) that there should be something for everybody.
No offense but how can you call different sequels of the same book series different subgenres ? I wouldn't even call Discworld and Myth different subgenres, though I would call LOTR and Myth different subgenres. If you consider different sequels concentrated on various characters to be different subgenres then Myth has several "subgenres" as well, but that's a misuse of the word really. It's all the same world, same setting, same global set of characters, and similar (not same !) style throughout.
But I get what you're trying to say, it has variety. That's one of the things I like about Myth too.
As for the first book of Discworld not being the best, I guess I didn't know that series could be anything more then light parody, and the first book was the best to me in that regard out of the few I've read...

P.S.
I'm sorry to see that Myth has fallen way behind in the poll since the last time I checked this thread, from being roughly equal with the other two to being only half as popular... But then that's closer to what I originally expected...
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #17
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Never heard of this "myth"-series. Checked it up on Amazon, and does not seem to attract my interest. (Sorry OP).

Diskworld: Well, I read one book a long time ago, but it was then the next book after the HitchHiker. That rendered Diskworld, in my opinion, a "copycat" of HTTG.
After I made a thread about that here a while ago, I bought the 5 first Diskworld books to my Kindle and startd reading.
Well, still I'm too HTTG-biased.

So for me there is only one Guide
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #18
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Never heard of this "myth"-series. Checked it up on Amazon, and does not seem to attract my interest. (Sorry OP).
No need to apologize for tastes, but Amazon isn't the best place to "check out" books... There are better websites for that.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
I never heard of the Myth series until recently. I love Adams' books, even the later ones. Pratchett is just brilliant.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Well, maybe I've brought a few new readers to Asprin...
Maybe he should pay me a comission. Or you all could just pay me in karma...
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
... how can you call different sequels of the same book series different subgenres ?
They're not really sequels, you see, they were merely published in a particular order. As I've said, there are books dealing with Death (and his human grand-daughter, Susan), or the City Watch, or the Witches / Tiffany Aching, etc. Granted, these are rather narrowly defined subgenres. Perhaps "storyline" would be a better expression.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
They're not really sequels, you see, they were merely published in a particular order. As I've said, there are books dealing with Death (and his human grand-daughter, Susan), or the City Watch, or the Witches / Tiffany Aching, etc. Granted, these are rather narrowly defined subgenres. Perhaps "storyline" would be a better expression.
While Jon will disagree, the story arcs *can* be read out of order of publication. While I dislike this guide as it just plain too busy, it does show you the various story arcs with starting points and story orders.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Haven't read any so can't vote
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #24
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Regardless of the order of publication and chronological order they are sequels of the same book series if they are all based in the same setting, what you call them is just semantics. The Foundation books aren't related to one another very much, but it's still one book series.
What you're trying to say is they have different styles and center on different characters, but that doesn't make them different genres.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Regardless of the order of publication and chronological order they are sequels of the same book series if they are all based in the same setting, what you call them is just semantics.
Not really. They are set in the same fictional universe, i.e. on Discworld, but that's it. Surely you wouldn't call books playing in the same city or country, much less "world", even by the same author, "a series" if the cast is totally different? And if you do, that's fine by me, just saying that I don't.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #26
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

You can't compare books about different people in New York and different books about Discworld ! New York is a location, not a book series, and Discworld is a book series, not a location.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I love all three series; Discworld edges out the other two for sheer scope. (Yeah, Hitchhiker's theoretically has a scope of "all of time & space," but doesn't actually focus on that many characters or situations.)

I lost track of the Myth books when M.Y.T.H. Inc started up; I read the first one or two and then stopped. I keep meaning to track them down and read them all again.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
You can't compare books about different people in New York and different books about Discworld ! New York is a location, not a book series, and Discworld is a book series, not a location.
Just goes to show you haven't ready much of the series, I am afraid. I rest my case.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
C'mon, the ultimate answer is 42! Maybe it is my own vintage or my early social circle but Adams cracks me up. Huh, I do like Monty Python (and later John Cleese work) as well...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Adams and Asprin are enjoyable, but I'd say that Pratchett has the greatest overall breadth and depth. If you've got a particular affinity for certain elements in a book (mystery, farce, philosophy, romance, fairy tales, vampires, musicals, cross-dressing, police procedurals, action adventure), at least one volume in the series is likely to fit your criteria.

Oh, and +1 for John Morressy's Kedrigern series, which is excellent.

Wish that Meisha Merlin had finally printed that 3rd planned volume which would have collected up some of the remaining short stories *and* the printed-in-Polish-only work finally in the original English. But they imploded, and Morressy died, and then his wife who inherited the rights died, and now everything is in limbo, unfortunately.

Though I will kind of vaguely mention that if you happen to read Polish and go looking, the internet seems to provide.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote