Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle Touch
Pidgin chat client on Kindle Touch

Pidgin Chat client on Kindle Touch. Pidgin support protocols : AIM, Facebook, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, GroupWise, ICQ, IRC, MSN, MXit..

My first steps to compile and port GUI application on Kindle Touch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotation of DSC00999.JPG
Views:	946
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	86997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotation of DSC01000.JPG
Views:	810
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	86998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotation of DSC01003.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	86999  
Attached Files
File Type: gz pidgin.gz (1.08 MB, 549 views)

Last edited by Ehhh; 05-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Ehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Code? Binaries? Anything? Even though I don't use chat much, this looks cool. Maybe I'll start using chat with this
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Ehhh
Connoisseur
Ehhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the roughEhhh is a jewel in the rough

in progress now...

A few open issues:
Keyboard is not openned automatically when to click on textbox.
TLS/SSL is not supported now.

I started/closed keyboard from another console:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.keyboard open com.lab126.test:abc:0
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.keyboard close com.lab126.test

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Code? Binaries? Anything? Even though I don't use chat much, this looks cool. Maybe I'll start using chat with this

Last edited by Ehhh; 05-28-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
Keyboard is not openned automatically when to click on textbox.
Great!
You may try matchbox-keyboard. You will find arm binary in XTerm package.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Ehhh
Connoisseur

Will it appear on the screen when to click on the textbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Great!
You may try matchbox-keyboard. You will find arm binary in XTerm package.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, once started it will be displayed on the upper layer all the time. You would have to find a way to hide it, if you need more space. Maybe native kindle keyboard would be better solution in this case.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
I just gave it a try and it works ok with matchbox-keyboard.

Edit: Now I see it also works with native kindle keyboard. I misunderstood your post. Thought that kindle keyboard doesn't work. It is just that it doesn't hide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-05-29T22_53_21-0200.gif
Views:	520
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	87083  

Last edited by baf; 05-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Would it be possible to get this to work for the non-touch version of Kindles (ie, Kindle 1-4)?

If not, for those interested, the following two websites work on the Kindle well enough when opened through the webkit browser:

http://m.ebuddy.com/
https://imo.im/
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Would it be possible to get this to work for the non-touch version of Kindles (ie, Kindle 1-4)?
For the time being it even doesn't work on KT. I tried it with my jabber account. It connected, fetched roster, displayed list of my buddies and everything seemed ok. But when I tried to start chat it segfaulted. Then I went to sleep.

@Ehhh
Did you have same problem?

Quote:
If not, for those interested, the following two websites work on the Kindle well enough when opened through the webkit browser:

That's good info. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Ehhh
Connoisseur

I haven't tested jabber yet. I'm working with ICQ. I compiled SSl , and ICQ was started yesterday. Now i need to fix the issue with keyboard. The keyboard should appear/disaapear on the screen when the focus is on textbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
For the time being it even doesn't work on KT. I tried it with my jabber account. It connected, fetched roster, displayed list of my buddies and everything seemed ok. But when I tried to start chat it segfaulted. Then I went to sleep.

@Ehhh
Did you have same problem?

That's good info. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #11
Ehhh
Connoisseur

I have only KT, this is one reason, why it is difficult to support these Kindles.

Quote:

Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
wl.
Enthusiast
wl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toyswl. shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Now i need to fix the issue with keyboard. The keyboard should appear/disaapear on the screen when the focus is on textbox.
why? let's keyboard be always on
wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
captainreuben
captainreuben began at the beginning.

I agree with @wl.

I think we can handle having the keyboard on screen all the time in an IM app. The only real time I can think to remove it would be scrolling back through chat history.

Equally though, it'd be useful to have a filter/search system in place, which is immediately operated from the keyboard.

Just a suggestion.
captainreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I can't get this to run! it gave an error for missing library called 'libpurple.so.0' Long story short, I finally found the ARM version in the maemo port of Pidgin. Tried it again but now gave me the following error, so I gave up:

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libdbus-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Could you please upload something that works? There are so many shared libs missing?!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Could you please upload something that works? There are so many shared libs missing?!
That is why I like to static-link my kindle apps.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote