Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
MadGoat
MadGoat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
As soon as the announcement from Apple came out about the iPad, I was on the bandwagon. I'm one of the biggest Apple fans I know. Macbook, Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme, Time capsule, iPods and 2 iPhones(3 this summer)... see where I'm going? I love Apple.

However as time went on, I questioned it. I don't really need an iPad, I have an iPhone, what I really needed was a simple, ereader that does only the one thing. Read.

So I opted to wait for the next revision or 2 of the iPad, see if it ever gets to front camera and some other goodies before I commit to it.

Last week I went out an bought a kobo reader. I like it, no distractions, just books. Anyway a claimed 7-10 hour charge on an iPad isn't long enough. A 2 week charge from the kobo is more of what I need.

I light eReader is also more comfy than the heavier option from apple.

I'm not saying the iPad doesn't have it's uses, but right now, it's very much a 1.0 product.
MadGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #32
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
All in all, if all you want is an ebook reader, the iPad is not a good idea. Apart from the whole LCD screen/eye strain issue, there's also the fact that it's a bit too heavy for reading for long periods of time, and it costs so much more than dedicated readers.
Not everyone has eyestrain issues with LCD screens. I sold my e-ink reader because I was having more eye issues with it. Since then I've been using my iPhone as a reader with no eye strain issues at all.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #33
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
I'm not saying the iPad doesn't have it's uses, but right now, it's very much a 1.0 product.
I mostly agree with this. The current ipad was a fair attempt but missed the mark. I am hoping that version 2.0 corrects some of the obvious issues: file browser, SD slot, USB port, unlocked hardware. I still have hope that Apple might step up.

"What is the word on the ipad?" = not ready for prime time, wait to see what comes next.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I mostly agree with this. The current ipad was a fair attempt but missed the mark. I am hoping that version 2.0 corrects some of the obvious issues: file browser, SD slot, USB port, unlocked hardware. I still have hope that Apple might step up.
I wouldn't hold my breath on any of those things.

File browser is against Jobs' philosophy of devices being simple, and users not having to work directly with files etc.

Unlocked hardware will never happen from Apple--against their walled garden approach to the iPhone and iPad and their app store in general.

SD and USB won't happen as they want people to pay more for more built in memory.

It's a shame as the iPad does so much right, but those things (especially lack of a file browser and drag and drop) kill my interest in it.

So it's wait and see if someone else can match form factor, battery life etc. and add all that stuff you list.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I played with an iPad today for a while. There is no way my eyes would tolerate using it as an eReader device. The backlit LCD screen would cause serious eyestrain and headaches for me if I were to read a book on it longer than a half hour.

I was a bit annoying typing on it with one hand because my other hand was holding the iPad up. I suppose I could have sat it flat on my lap to type using both hands but that would give me a neck ache looking down over my lap to see the screen. Then my back would be all hunched over too. I'll stick to my Kindle for reading eBooks and my Toshiba laptop or Asus netbook for portable computing.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Too each their own on whether they can read on an LCD screen of course. But it's hard to give it a fair test under the flourescent lights on a show floor. It really needs to be read in normal reading lighting conditions, when you have time to adjust the brightness of the screen to the lighting etc.

2. It's definitely not a device to hold with one hand and type with the other. Any typing needs to be done with it on your lap or on a table.

But on that front, I've found I seldom use the keyboard outside of typing in a url occasionally when using my girlfriend's iPad, so I don't really care about that.

When I get a tablet it will be to supplement my laptop rather than replace it, so I'll grab the laptop for anything that requires typing. The tablet will get used for things the laptop form factor sucks for--reading books, comics, magazines. Reading and marking up PDFs of scholarly journal articles, watching videos in bed, doing light web surfing (little to know typing) on the couch etc.

I may keep my Kindle 1 around for reading in bed as it is lighter and the long battery life is nice. But if I could get $150 or so out of it I'd probably sell it. That's unlikely though and so I'm not sure I'd bother parting with it for less.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Anyway a claimed 7-10 hour charge on an iPad isn't long enough. A 2 week charge from the kobo is more of what I need.
Wait if you will....I certainly didn't buy the first iPhone. Just wanted to comment that the 10hr battery life was conservative. It's essentially an infinite battery. Lasts all day with heavy use (between myself and my 3 daughters)....plug it in at night. I never turn it off and I've yet to have to stop using it in order to charge it.

It's not as light as a 6" ebook reader. The weight issue disappeared (for me) when I got the case. I never actually have to hold it up in the air for any length of time. It's either resting on my lap, legs, belly or table.

Having an iPhone (love mine) does not mean you have an iPad....no more than saying one has a laptop and therefore doesn't need an ipad (ok, no one NEEDS an iPad). Actually, I pretty much only use my iPhone as a phone now, and an iPod. I no longer use it as a "portable computer, couch surfer, ereader" around the house. Frankly, I'm considering going back to a dumb phone and saving the $30/mo I pay for the data plan.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, the 10-11 hour battery life should be fine for most people.

No big deal for most to plug in every night or two. Will be for some who travel a ton and don't want to take the charge (even though it's really small) etc.

I'm used to plugging my phone in every night or two, so when I eventually get a tablet I'd just do the same for it. Maybe get one of those charging mat things that I can just toss both on to charge.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #39
Romantic One
Banned
Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Romantic One has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Getting a lot of mixed emotions on the ipad. Might have to wait the way I am reading things.
Romantic One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #40
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I went to BB to ogle the ipad, thinking maybe I would replace my netbook with one, but the clerk talked me out of it--it's just a big ipod touch/iphone and does not multi task. I am the ultimate multi tasker so it's back to the netbook and the Sony PRS 600 for reading. I can always read books on the netbook or iphone in the dark.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #41
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I went to BB to ogle the ipad, thinking maybe I would replace my netbook with one, but the clerk talked me out of it--it's just a big ipod touch/iphone and does not multi task. I am the ultimate multi tasker so it's back to the netbook and the Sony PRS 600 for reading. I can always read books on the netbook or iphone in the dark.
Clerk was an idiot. OS4.0 will add multitasking to the iPad when it is released in a few months.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #42
dmaul1114
Wizard

I'd hardly say he was an idiot.

The fact is the iPad doesn't multi-task currently, the OS4 update isn't coming to the iPad until fall (iPhone this summer) and it remains to be seen how well the multi-tasking works.

So for someone who lists multi-tasking as a must have feature like peitsao, it's probably not wise to grab an iPad right now vs. waiting and seeing how OS 4.0 turns out, and if any other tablets come out that are better for his/her needs.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #43
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd hardly say he was an idiot.

The fact is the iPad doesn't multi-task currently, the OS4 update isn't coming to the iPad until fall (iPhone this summer) and it remains to be seen how well the multi-tasking works.

So for someone who lists multi-tasking as a must have feature like peitsao, it's probably not wise to grab an iPad right now vs. waiting and seeing how OS 4.0 turns out, and if any other tablets come out that are better for his/her needs.
Can't help it but clerks in BestBuy (at least our local one) are idiots especially when it comes to Apple products. They always look completely panic stricken when someone walks to the Apple display area instead of browsing the PC/netbook area.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #44
dmaul1114
Wizard

Sure, most clerks in every big box store aren't knowledgeable.

Just saying he was right in this case as it doesn't currently multitask, and they should tell that to people who ask about multitasking. In an ideal world they would also mention it was coming in the fall OS update though.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #45
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
If you want the ipad to just read books that are black and white, the other dedicated ereaders are going to be a better bet because of the lighter weight and longer battery lifes that the ipad.

But if you want color - the ipad wins.
If you want internet, the ipad is faster (tho no flash)
If you want video, the ipad wins.
If you want games, the ipad wins,
If you want basic word processing, the ipad wins.
If you want PDF, the ipad wins
If you need speed, the ipad wins.

I love my ipad, but I read more on my ipod touch.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote